Subways DT360 into my 94 F350

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Truck looks and sounds great Jared. Great to get to see it in person. ;Sweet
Thanks, I should have offered to take you for a ride. I was going to then got side tracked while talking. You will just have to swing by the rally lol I will throw ya the keys. I hope the parts work well for you. I will be investing in some cooling fans now.

was good to meet you, I look forward to seeing your truck pulled together.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

subway

Reaction score
Well the days started out well. The rain held off and I got to set my timing and tighten up the aneroid valve to increase the fuel at lower rpm's to get rid of the flat spot I have been feeling.

I got to meet laserjock or Mike and his friendly wife and kid. To bad my daughter stayed shy, she was asking about "the little boy" afterward lol.

Anyway I decided to try to tackle putting some fans in. It's a little tighter than I would have liked. The fan setup I got from a ford windstar.

You must be registered for see images attach

Basically there is no way the whole setup was going to fit in one piece but through some cardboard cut outs it looked like i could make it fit.

So cutting in half let it fit in a way. It turns out the shroud would fit but the motor sticks out to far. It looked like you could swap the motors though since the other motor is much lower profile.

Well that didn't work out so well and I ended up wreaking the smaller motor end and fan. The larger one won't fit so now I have a pile of parts.....

Anyone know a good low profile fan to use? I am not having a lot of luck yet searching. A lot of mixed reviews and how well or badly the fans move air.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I off hand after looking at it, I think you are looking for pushers. Unless you go with a hand full of like 6" fans like stacking 2 or 3 on each side of the center. It's so tight to the radiator. It's definitely not going to be a single fan. I don't think you are going to find anything in a single piece that's going to fit.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went back and looked at your pics. I was actually going to suggest a mechanical fan. I think you could turn the belt grooves off that water pump pulley and do an adapter to have a fan hub fit basically where the unused pulley grooves would be. The issue I see is that the WP sets really high and it would have to be a small diameter fan to the point it might not matter. I've got a picture in my head. Not sure if I've conveyed it. Might not be feasible but figured I'd toss it out there.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I only have one and it's never gone over 210 with the ac on. Plus it's a dual stage. Mine on low works with the ac, high kicks on at 195.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could try this, its a 10'' fan but the total size is 11.5'' tall and 2.5'' deep. I have 4 of them that I was going to put on my truck but I currently have dual 14'' fans and they seem to be working good. there supposed to be 2350 cfm but I compared it to a 14'' 1600 cfm and it didn't seem to move nearly as much air, but I don't really have any way to really test it.

this is my current fan setup.

subway

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone! I have been noodling over this since I destroyed my fans last night.

Mike, you got me thinking in different directions. I was looking and I think I could fit some pusher fans on front of my intercooler without to much issue. Trouble is according to Spal fans documentation you loose between 5 and 25 % on efficiency pushing and it would be going through the intercooler, condenser then radiator. Is that a problem, I don't know.

I really don't think it is going to be possible for even a small fan on the water pump. That is where it is mounted originally but it is just to high on the radiator. But......This got me to thinking, like an old tractor could I add a bearing and fan on front of the injection pump cover and feed it off of on of the extra grooves I have? I might toy with that. I kinda like the simple reliability of a engine driven fan.

Jon, something like that is what I would like to do. I might still be able to if I picked up a smaller fan.i would have to make the shroud multiple pieces though to fit around the water pump. From what I am reading you should have the thickness of the core as an air gap between the radiator and fan to allow airflow if you have a proper shroud.

subway

Reaction score
Elijah, I like your set up, that is what I would like to do if I had the room. Yea unfortunately you seem to be running into what I am reading about. Fans that are over rated or drop significantly in the real world what they claim to be able to do. One of the reasons I am leaning towards getting a Spal fan or other high quality fan if possible. It scares me to think about a ebay special letting me down with the family in tow. I might pay more but I will feel better about it.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if I have the time before the rally I am going to try and make a shroud to use 4 of those smaller fans and see how it works. even if they pull less air they would still cover more of the radiator then just the two fans.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. You might sneak a reasonable size fan in there between the crank and water pump. Just need to find a decent idler pulley set up that could handle the stress of the fan. You've got plenty of belt drive options. That's the way the one on the old walk behind gravelys were but that's not big enough I don't think. I think they were only about 8" in diameter but I get what you are saying. Might find something off an air cooled engine.... oh say like a Porsche or VW..... Stay tuned I might be able to help here. At least with more ideas and help finding stuff.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
If you want me to bring the Volvo stuff you can try to fit it, if it doesn't work just send it back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
So just some useless thinking here...
And I know it's kinda backwards from normal thinking, but I wander what would happen if you ran a thinner radiator so you could have more space for fans?
I don't know if actually have fans would offset the thinner radiator enough to make it effective.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk