studding with heads on? O.o

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
always wondered this, can you stud an idi with the heads still on?? as in, pull 1 bolt out at a time, and instert stud? or am i just crazy/lazy

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
you can't b/c the firewall is in the way on the driver side and the inner fender is in the way on the pass side.

Side note, why do do so many people like doing studs one at a time rather than actually pulling the heads, inspecting them and putting in fresh HG's?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can't b/c the firewall is in the way on the driver side and the inner fender is in the way on the pass side.

Side note, why do do so many people like doing studs one at a time rather than actually pulling the heads, inspecting them and putting in fresh HG's?

What he said ^^^^

If yer gonna stud do it right...pull inspect replace and be done knowing it's done right!

JM2CW and a few others I'm sure

Al

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lazy and cheap! worst possible combo for a sucessful vehicle build!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recall a member here posting that he was able to do it one stud at a time. But clearly its not the correct way to do it. Cleaning the threads in the block will be difficult is not impossible. The chance of stress cracking a head is very high. That expence right there tells me its not worth the risk. The other ideas mentioned above gives you the opertunity to inspect, replace and make better the top end. One note if you try doing this. As you remove the rockers and pushrods mark them top and bottom on the pushrods because there is a differance. The top end ball is hardened. If that does not end up in the rocker your goung to ruin lots of stuff. Keep everything as it came out too so it goes back together the same. If the valves are ground the tips are ground too so they will not be matched to the rocker wear so either grind the rockers or buy new ones. Right now ebay has a set of pushrods new for $25.00. Thats really a great buy too.