Stuck Glowplug and stuck Injector.

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On had a cold start issue in a previous post. My bad glowplug i had was the one kinda under the turbo on the passenger side. Got it loose and it wouldn't come out so i decided to pull that injector to get a little more room and i only got half of it out. The tip part stuck in tge head. So my question is is there an easy way to get these out. Anyone ever ran into this befor and have suggestions. Im gonna start pulling the turbo tomorrow evening to gain working room and woukd like some advice before starting this so any pointers are appreciated. Thanks. Also anyone near Pottsboro Tx wanna help. Lol

llebhsoj

Reaction score
Stuck plug

The same thing happened to me yesterday. Same glow plug. I was able to get a hold of it with vice grips and work it back and forth until it came out. I was thanking the good Lord when it came out.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can grind the threads off of the injector and screw it back into the nozzle that is stuck in the head. You can bust it loose this way and pull it out. If you have a junk injector laying around, use that. If not, you will need to purchase another injector once you get it out.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With your stuck glowplug.....do not work it too much. The tip may break off if you get aggressive with it. Spray some pb blaster down in the hole and let that sit for a few hours and keep working at it. Patience is key here

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
On had a cold start issue in a previous post. My bad glowplug i had was the one kinda under the turbo on the passenger side. Got it loose and it wouldn't come out so i decided to pull that injector to get a little more room and i only got half of it out. The tip part stuck in tge head. So my question is is there an easy way to get these out. Anyone ever ran into this befor and have suggestions. Im gonna start pulling the turbo tomorrow evening to gain working room and woukd like some advice before starting this so any pointers are appreciated. Thanks. Also anyone near Pottsboro Tx wanna help. Lol

I'm in the middle of an injector a glow plug change myself. Did you unbolt the turbo from the up pipe flange or pull the slip connection apart? I'm having NO luck with either...

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks hydro ill give that a try. International i used a deep 3/8-3/8dr. Socket and a very fine tooth ratchet to get my glow plug loose. Caution mine went down hill rapidly from there.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The posting about grinding the threads off the injecter is what usually has to be done. Once those threads are gone screw the injecter body back into the stuck cap in the head. Then wiggle the injecter from side to side. Use a small hammer if needed. Or continue to tighten the injecter body into the fine threads of the stuck cap. Its just some carbon thats causing the stuck tip in the head. About the glow plug... Thats hopefully just carbon too so use PB Blaster or Aerokroil to loosen up the carbon. Sometimes cranking the engine will blow them out but they will come out like a bullet from a rifle. Put some rags or plywood over the plug. Remember you have 500 lbs of cranking compression trying to exit a very smal hole.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grind the coarse threads not the fine threads!!!!! Some guy's tried cranking the engine over after screwing the fine threads back to gather....

IHcornbinder

Reaction score
I have had that problem with the same gp in the same place. Seemed like that one was always going out. Was bs'ing with an old timer in the parts store who diagnosded the problem as too much timing. It kept blowing that GP up, almost mushrooming the tip. It was a SOB to get out of there, but like stated above; exercise some paitence, use lots of PB blaster and try not to brake it off. In then end i started the engine with the glow plug unscrewd and it came right out. One tip put a welding blanket over the engine if you use this method, or you will put a nice dent in the hood like i did. It might work for the injector too......

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had this made on a lathe...

You must be registered for see images attach

I had it drilled and tapped for a adapter for my slide hammer/vice grip

Here it's in the remnants of what was stuck in a head attached to my slide hammer

gandalf

Reaction score
You can grind the threads off of the injector and screw it back into the nozzle that is stuck in the head. You can bust it loose this way and pull it out. If you have a junk injector laying around, use that. If not, you will need to purchase another injector once you get it out.

I was a bit slow picking up on this thread. I had to grind an injector to pull a separated tip when I changed my injectors. I did just as Hydro-idi suggested. I'll add a picture of the doctored injector for those of us who are more visually oriented. This is shown with the stuck tip screwed back on.

This is the "home remedy" as opposed to Al's more professional extraction tool.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a bit slow picking up on this thread. I had to grind an injector to pull a separated tip when I changed my injectors. I did just as Hydro-idi suggested. I'll add a picture of the doctored injector for those of us who are more visually oriented. This is shown with the stuck tip screwed back on.

This is the "home remedy" as opposed to Al's more professional extraction tool.
Bout the only difference I see is I had the inside bored and tapped for a bolt/adapter that's the same as a vice grip adjustment/tensioning bolt...grind it ...turn it in a lathe...heck get a beaver to naw it off...don't matter...do what it takes...yers looks fantastic and clearly was an effective tool!

just wish we had a magic tool for the GP's...rofl...

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys thanks to ya lls words of wisdom i successfully got my injector and glow plug out without having to pull tge turbo. Ill finish installing everything tomorrow figured id quit while i was ahead today. Thanks alot.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... Sure happy for you that all came out ok. these swollen glow plugs can be tuff sometimes. This is why we as a collective try to warn members about using anything but motorcraft glow plugs. There is so much trouble useing the other brands that we shy away from them as a rule. Make sure some antisieze is used on the threads of the plugs and injecters. Avoid the tapered area of the plugs. Thats the only place these plugs seal in the heads. The body threads only hold them in the head and do nothing to seal them like a tapered pipe thread does.

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you on the glow plugs the one i pulled was a champion so im replacing all them with motorcraft. I also have to replace a few plugs on my glow plug harness. Hopefully this will cure my hard to start problem as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828