strange sound

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i started the truck up yesterday to move it and i notice it had a weird ticking sound coming fromt he right side. Also, when i hold it at about 1500rpm, there is a constant light bluish smoke coming fromt he exhaust and there is alot of smoke coming out of the RDT. Is this something small or could this cost me if not taken care of?

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have an injector ******* a stream of fuel into the cylinder. The ticking comes from the incompressibility of fuel in the liquid state. I would remove the injectors and have them tested.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have an injector ******* a stream of fuel into the cylinder. The ticking comes from the incompressibility of fuel in the liquid state. I would remove the injectors and have them tested.

i was kinda thinking that because sometimes it will go away when i give it throttle but does that explain the slight bluish smoke when i hold it at 1500+rpm?

sootman73

Reaction score
yea with incorrect fueling you'll get smoke and if its not atomizing the fuel to allow for ignition then it would be blueish/gray because it did not get hot enough to combust.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea with incorrect fueling you'll get smoke and if its not atomizing the fuel to allow for ignition then it would be blueish/gray because it did not get hot enough to combust.

Thank god i hope that's all it is, i can't afford much more. i guess that also explains why it would almost stall on me in first gear/going up hill. i would never do it in a higher gear. i got real quite and you couldn't hear the clatter anymore but if i put it to the floor it started going again.

sootman73

Reaction score
well that might also be injection pump then but that's only a little more than injectors too. just more work....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is doing it consistently, you can crack one injector line at a time and see if the smoke/noise goes away at that problem speed.