Strange CL find.

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
I'm a member of the 'more space' club. I don't think I would go as far as these, but you can't go to far, right?

Attachments

• ford-limo.jpg
    ford-limo.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 5
  • Harley_limo_manufacturer.jpg
    Harley_limo_manufacturer.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 5
  • infamouswbob.jpg
    infamouswbob.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 15

02AutoWag

Reaction score
That's true....but, then what's the point in having a truck? With a setup like that, you'd be better off with a 4 door Bronco IMHO.

To each his own...personally, I wouldn't want a truck with a bed less than 8 feet long. Yes, it's a cast-iron bear to maneuver, but for me, the cargo space is worth the trade-off.

My friend's needs:
1) Has daughter with health disabilities = permanent car seat
2) Also has a set of twins = two more car seats for the next number of years
3) Stay at home Mom to care for daughter = single income
4) Single income = short on money
5) Short on money = camping vacations for the family (hitch, not 5th wheel)
6) IDI for maintenance ease and possible WMO usage for cost savings.

Bed space takes a back seat for the above reasons. Trailer rentals are available if absolutely required.
A 4' bed is still 4' better than a Bronco has.
Will a Bronco fit three car seats across the rear?
Easier to find a Bronco with IDI or easier to drop a CC on a RC chassis?

Calvin, can we talk about this on Sunday. Can't wait to get stuff done to the rig.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
That truck has a tool box in a 6' bed = 4' to tailgate and yes you can put a gn or 5th wheel hitch in there with room to turn.

Look closely at the 5er's that you pass on the hiway....many are 6' bed Crew cabs.....

Me REALLY diggs this rig ;Sweet old school with a side box on the bed :hail

Just 86 the canopy and seats :D

You must be registered for see images attach

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bed space takes a back seat for the above reasons. Trailer rentals are available if absolutely required.
I was referring to the Centurion conversions that were offered for sale in the late '80's and throughout the '90's, which was basically a crew-cab truck with a Bronco rear end instead of a pickup bed. Something like this. It's more like an Excursion than a 1/2 ton Bronco, and would give you three rows of seats and the ability to fold the rear-most seat down for extra cargo area when needed (and, with that seat down, I think you'd actually have more than 4 feet of cargo area). And, with the enclosed roof, it would be easier to stack more small items (boxes, suitcases, etc) without having to worry about them falling out. I imagine it would be easier to put car seats in that than it would in a traditional crew cab, although I can't say that I know for sure.

With all that said, unless your friend has the time and ability to fabricate a shorter bed and deal with the cab mounts to get a crew-cab cab to mount on a regular-cab chassis (which can't be an easy thing) or the $$ to buy a one-off project like the one listed, IMHO his best bet would be a conventional crew-cab truck or, if he went the PSD route, an Excursion. Another thought would be an E-series van...in fact, based on what you said he needs, the van may well be the best way to go. A van would be a lot more family-friendly, and could tow the same trailer that a truck could. IDI vans are not quite as common as trucks, but they're certainly around. I wish I could have kept my old 6.9l E-350 :(

I'm sorry if I sounded confrontational earlier; it was not my intent...I'm just stating my opinion...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend's needs:
1) Has daughter with health disabilities = permanent car seat
2) Also has a set of twins = two more car seats for the next number of years
3) Stay at home Mom to care for daughter = single income
4) Single income = short on money
5) Short on money = camping vacations for the family (hitch, not 5th wheel)
6) IDI for maintenance ease and possible WMO usage for cost savings.

Calvin, can we talk about this on Sunday. Can't wait to get stuff done to the rig.
russ-
this can be done.
the floor where the frame kicks up will need to be raised and filled.
I have a CC body but no interior for it. it's going into another CC project.
let's say we pull the SC body and longbed off your truck for sale, the CC body can be grafted on and a shortbed can be installed to keep the same overall length.
anything can be achieved.
we have plasma, arc mig and tig capabilities. we have the trucks. what we lack is the commonsense to stay away from projects like there.cookoocookoocookoo:D

02AutoWag

Reaction score
Warden,
No offense taken. None intended on my part either...just looking to help my friend. Thanks for the info. :cheers:

Calvin,
Crazycookoo You, absolutely. Me, somewhat. My friend, not so much.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That truck has a tool box in a 6' bed = 4' to tailgate and yes you can put a gn or 5th wheel hitch in there with room to turn.

Look closely at the 5er's that you pass on the hiway....many are 6' bed Crew cabs.....

Take a closer look at that rig. Ya need to 86 the tool box for a GN or 5vr or you have the pin behind the rear axle which is bad juju with that much weight..... usually 2 - 3k pin on the avg 5th wheel or GN trailer.

Can you use a shortbed for a fifth wheel, yep, but you better have a sliding hitch or one of the newer fifth wheels made for short beds. GN is going to depend on the trailer, a 3 car wedge ain't happening without serious modifications to the trailer.

There is a reason most RV transport companies don't lease on nothing but 8' beds and require everything in the bed like tool boxes and aux tanks to be below the bed sides.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Take a closer look at that rig. Ya need to 86 the tool box for a GN or 5vr or you have the pin behind the rear axle which is bad juju with that much weight..... usually 2 - 3k pin on the avg 5th wheel or GN trailer.

Can you use a shortbed for a fifth wheel, yep, but you better have a sliding hitch or one of the newer fifth wheels made for short beds.

Then what have I been looking at :dunno.....:rotflmao

There's a few that show up next door at the riding/roping arena and they are short beds with what looks to be aux fuel/tool boxes :confused:

I'll have to take a closer look next time :angel::D