Storing My Truck

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
I head off to Bible College in Plain City Ohio where my Moms from so I have a bunch of family up there;Sweet, but also a bunch of cousins with diesel trucks. So my parents have decided to not let me take my truck up. It's not like I'm going to be drag racing every weekend:angel:. Any way any suggestions on storing my truck. I plan on flushing the cooling system, and putting fresh oil in since I'm due for a change any way. What about the fuel system? Full tanks or empty? My truck will not be in running condition as in batteries out on a trickle charger and stored in a shop. I don't want any one to run just because it's mine and there are some tricks to driving it. ( I seen my dad drive it not pretty.) I will be coming back late december for Christmas. Any advice?

Last edited:

discbrks

Reaction score
Filling up the fuel tanks is not a bad idea. Get a good fuel conditioner and pour a healty dose into each tank after fill-up. When you get home at X-mas, plug the block heater in for a few hours before you crank it up.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Just top the tanks off and ya should be good. ;Sweet

If yer concerned about anybody dropping the batteries in to take it for a spin, just pull the FSS wire and discretely make it look to be connected. That'll keep em guessing.:sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, if your going to store the batteries in the truck, disconnect the negative cables. There is enough parasitic draw from the truck to kill them after a few months. Maybe not so much from a stock truck, but if you've added any kind of "auto on" technology, like accesory stereo amplifiers, sub woofers, trailer brake controllers, etc.

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
Okay. Fss wires you mean on the injection pump the shut off wire right. If I just unhook the batteries while they drain over 4 months? Of course they would be easy to just hook up and drive away.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Actually, if your going to store the batteries in the truck, disconnect the negative cables. There is enough parasitic draw from the truck to kill them after a few months. Maybe not so much from a stock truck, but if you've added any kind of "auto on" technology, like accesory stereo amplifiers, sub woofers, trailer brake controllers, etc.

even the bone stock radio--if it has memeory presets---will kill the batts--been there!!!!

sassyrel

Reaction score
Okay. Fss wires you mean on the injection pump the shut off wire right. If I just unhook the batteries while they drain over 4 months? Of course they would be easy to just hook up and drive away.

the batts wont drain if you disconnect BOTH ground cables-----

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online