Still having starting problems

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is having a lot of trouble starting after sitting long enough to cool down to surrounding temperatures. It takes a lot of cranking time even in moderately warm weather to get her going.

- I wouldn't assume IP because it runs great when started. It doesn't stall or run rough at idle at all. It did white smoke a little bit but I advanced the timing a tad and it cleared right up.

- Shouldn't be return lines because I just replaced them hoping that would fix the problem, but, obviously, it didn't. I don't see any fuel leaks at the injectors but I DO see a little dampness on the injections lines at the pump, but it's not really wet, and the dampness hasn't gotten any worse and I've had the truck for quite a while. And the damp area seems to be kind of oilish as opposed to diesel leaking out.

- I DO believe the glow plugs are shot. I just finally got the wiring right for them to work. BUT, even when it was 60 degrees out it took a LOT of cranking time to get the truck running. Of course, the glow plugs didn't work at all when it was 60 degrees out due to faulty wiring, but I would think that it wouldn't take too much cranking to get it going at that temperature.

- I checked the blow-by and it was minimal which would make me assume that I have good compression.

- With a tiny, tiny shot of ether, it cranks right up and doesn't stall back out nor run rough.

- Batteries ARE shot, along with the terminals and probably cables, but when I charge them up and they turn the motor over fast, the problem is still there and still just as bad, so it's not the batteries.

So I think I'll go ahead and buy a new set of glow plugs and see where that gets me, but if that doesn't fix the problem, what else should I check out?

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The white smoke is usually caused by bad glow plugs. Only buy Motorcraft plugs otherwise you run the risk of a glow plug getting stuck in the head or the tip of the glow plug breaking off. $90 is a lot cheaper than pulling the heads due to a cheap glow plug.

1.Start with glow plugs, and check the glow plug connectors they get brittle after 20+ years. 2. Buy new battery cables or check your cables for corrosion and cut off the bad parts and repair it, you should also check your cables to your starter and to your glow plug controller. 3. Charge your batteries over night or for a couple days if you have time and then load test them after. 4. To check for diesel leaks I put a paper towel under the injection pump and over night or when my truck isn't being used I put a few paper towels around the injectors/injection lines find where I have a leak. 5. Check your alternator to see if it's still working properly.

sassyrel

Reaction score
- I wouldn't assume IP because it runs great when started. It doesn't stall or run rough at idle at all. It did white smoke a little bit but I advanced the timing a tad and it cleared right up.

what else should I check out?[/QUOTE]

you say it wont start cold..tho many on here have done the tepid water over the ip to get it started hot, it still doesn't mean your ip is ok....when its hot, and you shut it off, for say 20 minutes, does it pop right off,,with just a twist of the key??