Steering Wheel Swap?

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
My steering wheel, like so many others, suffers from the leather being completely toast on the top and I was thinking about replacing it. I tried searching for someone who might have swapped it out with a different Ford steering wheel, but I can't find anything. Does anyone know if I can swap in an OBS leather steering wheel, or maybe even a late-90's car-type steering wheel, say off a Mustang? Is the hub completely different with the tilt? Can you still make the cruise buttons work? I just can't find squat about it anywhere... Basically, I would like to have a fatter steering wheel on the truck. I suppose if it comes down to it, I can just wrap the steering wheel a bunch with some hockey tape and then buy a leather cover and stitch it up, but I would rather be able to do something different. Any thoughts?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember hearing a while ago that a wheel from a new E series van will fit, but I can't confirm that.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in this also. You might look at an aftermarket steering wheel adapter kit and see what vehicles they fit. Might give a good idea of what other vehicles share the same connection. On another note I saw in a magazine one time where a guy put a 99 up superduty wheel in his 92-97 truck. Not sure how custom that was.

I myself kind of like the late 80's to early 90's non air bag Mustang wheels. Or possibly a 99 up superduty wheel, but the air bag would need to be non-operable and not sure how to handle the clock spring with the old type column in an 89.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online