Steering wheel leather

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
My fathers steering wheel has a hole in the factory leather. Does anybody have any experience about how to replace this leather cover and where to get it? Does the ford stealership carry them? Mostly I am interested to know if anybody has replaced this and how difficult it is. Thanks!

zpd307

Reaction score
find a leather shop, otherwise ebay. i believe there is place on the net that work with leather that will redo them. it has been a while since i looked.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
a few years ago I need one for my IDI. F*rd want something like $400(yes $400) for a new leather wrapped wheel. I found a non leather one in a JY and swapped it out. Now the leather one on my PSD gets cleaned and conditioned about once a month. still nice and soft with no holes(Knock on wood).

sassyrel

Reaction score
gruss--then those ford ones must have really went up--i got mine new at cost for 127.00--i also checked with some places that would redo it--they all wanted 350.00 and up!!!!

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
What year are you looking at? I'm getting rid of my '90 and I can check the wheel on it to see what it looks like.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
I really had no intentions of replacing the entire wheel. I called the ford stealership and they said you have to buy the whole wheel, they dont sell just the leather cover. I did find a site called wheelskins online that has something very close to what i was looking for. I think that is what I'll recommend to dad as well. My steering wheel is still looking good, however his usually stays dirty and is exposed to dirty hands more often so that is why his wore out before mine. Thanks for all the comments.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
It was tilt, a friend needed some parts for his. The wheel has the CC buttons. I would imagine it would fit the later years shaft, but I don't know about the electrics. I can snap a pic and you can see if it would fit.

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cover was shot on my '93 - I cut it off and now I have a regular hard plastic steering wheel - just how I like them. Just two little holes that no one would notice. I hate anything but a hard plastic or wood wheel - ever smell a leather or soft mushy naugahyde-covered steering wheel? All the hand **** etc is a breeding ground for ick.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'92 and up is a completely different animal as far as steering column assys go.
The guy who makes all my gunleather is in the process of stitching up a cover for my steering wheel. It's going to be pricey, but I know the quality will be there;Sweet

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
My cover was shot on my '93 - I cut it off and now I have a regular hard plastic steering wheel - just how I like them. Just two little holes that no one would notice. I hate anything but a hard plastic or wood wheel - ever smell a leather or soft mushy naugahyde-covered steering wheel? All the hand **** etc is a breeding ground for ick.

I have noticed there is plastic underneath......how does it look/feel are the grips molded into the plastic? Does it look naked? or does it look ok. Just taking the leather off would be a good option but i am worried about how goofy looking/slippery the wheel will be. You wouldnt happen to have any pictures would you?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
The guy who makes all my gunleather is in the process of stitching up a cover for my steering wheel. It's going to be pricey, but I know the quality will be there;Sweet

how does it look/feel are the grips molded into the plastic?

Some split grain cowhide would probably be the most durable. Full grain, might be too thick, or difficult, to mold. I'd suggest a saddle shop or geniune cowboy shop. Another option might be a farm supply store.

The best way to get a tight fit, is to soak the leather in water, and install that way. I'd recommend the wheel be somewhere besides to top of the column, or your electrical system might start growing green stuff. Once it's stitched down snug, wick out as much water as possible with soft towels. Hang it in a warm, shady place, with a slow fan, until cured dry. After fully dried, brush with neatsfoot oil, let soak in, and buff with a clean towel. If/when it starts to appear dry,

When it gets gross, brush with saddle soap, let dry, and re-apply neatsfoot.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
It was tilt, a friend needed some parts for his. The wheel has the CC buttons. I would imagine it would fit the later years shaft, but I don't know about the electrics. I can snap a pic and you can see if it would fit.
Pictures would be cool. PM me what you would need for it.;Sweet

I have noticed there is plastic underneath......how does it look/feel are the grips molded into the plastic? Does it look naked? or does it look ok. Just taking the leather off would be a good option but i am worried about how goofy looking/slippery the wheel will be. You wouldnt happen to have any pictures would you?

I did mine the same way I'll take some pictures for you. I have one of those cheap wheel covers on it now.:love:

'92 and up is a completely different animal as far as steering column assys go.
so the 90 will be the 87 to 92 style not the 93 to 97 ones?:puke: