!@#$^!#$%&!# Steering Box!!!

Camarogenius

Reaction score
How hard is it to change the upper seal in a steering box? I'm going through about a quart of power steering juice a day!! I've tried Lucas power steering stop leak, no good. Now, I'm just running ATF in it!! :backoff ;Pissed ;Pissed ;Pissed ;Pissed

82fordtruck

Reaction score
just do the whole box, it'll only take an hour or two.

It'll be worth it, instead of getting into that gearbox. I can't even find parts for them anymore.

pafixitman

Reaction score
My lower seal leaks. I have heard from both sides - whole unit and rebuild it. AutoZone for about a buck and a half plus the pitman arm puller seems mighty tempting in my opinion. I know the rebuild kit is about 1/6th the money though.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get my kits at pro steering in portland oregon, they are about 18.00 and I do boxes all the time. Napa has the kit for about 22.00. They arent to bad. Hey maybe I should sell my spare on an exchange plan !!
Seriously they are easy to do, I have done 50 or so and the internal parts rarely need attention unless the pump goes and puts metal in it.
I can post the procedure if there is interest.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
what wears out on them then? Mine always fail between 200k and 300k, and adjusting them does not tighten them enough until they are replaced.

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
OK guys. Mine also drinks fluid and I'm not sure what exactly leaks. I did a pump R&R and she still drinks. What's involved in "fixing it all" (steering box, hosees and whatever else). I only want to go in there once and don't mind spending money to "get er done".

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Camarogenius said:
Now, I'm just running ATF in it!! :backoff ;Pissed ;Pissed ;Pissed ;Pissed
Your supposed to use type f, I think that's 'bout the same price ;)
Don't forget the hoses, they can hide a leak pretty good. Get somebody to steer the truck while you watch. Should be little pressure in the hoses when you are not steering, but when you do, :puke: ;Sweet
Good Luck
James

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Something I found happen on the Beef was the return line to the pump for the most part rests right on the corner of the frame rail and after time rubbing a hole thru the line. Did the same as Joh, pump R/R and a hole bottle of fluid right back out onto the ground. -cuss

Might also be worth a looking into for those with the mystery leak. It wasn't easy for me to spot.
You must be registered for see images

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll second the "post the R+R info. Lucas stopped a slight leak in mine but there is some annoying play at the wheel. :rolleyes:

Sooooo start typin ;Sweet

PS. or Mel can fix it when he buy's my truck :D

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
On mine it leaked until I replaced all four items. Pump, pressure hose, return hose, box. It was funny because as I replaced each item, the leakage slowed and changed the pattern left on the driveway. Until finally I replaced the box and its dry now.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I do it.

Ok here goes, First off our steering gear fits 80 to97 f series, and most super duty, e series from, don't quote me but I think 76 ish to late 90's and ranger pickups.
If it is leaking out the top it has to come out of the truck, removal is pretty straight forward, rent a pitman arm puller or buy one for 35 bucks and have your friends donate to the beer fund. Side note if the pitman shaft is sloppy in the box, find another one or go reman, I built a tool to ream it for a bushing but it is not cost effective. Anyway I cheat a little, I pull the pitman remove the snap ring and then with a pan under it rev the engine a little and turn the wheel to the stop a couple times and it blows the seals and spacers right out :D . Trick that the old timers let slip. If that is all you need to do put in the seals and spacers, I usually stack them opposite the diagram to wear on a new surface on the shaft. there is a wide seal and a narrow.
If you do the whole box seal, just throw it on the bench, remove input snap ring pull dust seal and washer and oil seal, clean, put in the new ones and allset.
There are some great instructions in the seal kit i will try and find them and post, i am in the middle of a kitchen remodel so I may have left out something.
If you are patient you can disassemble the whole box and resea the internals. Lots of work but you will learn how it works, might learn some new words too. -cuss Power steering fluid should be changed every 50k my guy's tell me, that aluminum ford pump is not the bes they could have done,NAPA sels a conversion to an iron saginaw. Questions are welcome

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7