steering box

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
so mine leaks and i was perusing around ebay and actually found a rebuild kit for one so anyone ever rebuild one and is it worth the head ache or is it not a bad job

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's many things to go wrong in attempting to rebuild one.
check out uhaul's website for a rebuilt gear. they're only $72 last time I checked.

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
well heck 72 bucks ill just get two:sly then ill attempt the rebuild after i get the new one im confident i could do it but you guys know how confident turns into why did i do this real quick

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
90% of the time when you rebuild them the seals blow out again within a few thousand miles....better to just buy a new one and junk the old.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well heck 72 bucks ill just get two:sly then ill attempt the rebuild after i get the new one im confident i could do it but you guys know how confident turns into why did i do this real quick
......" a man must know his limitations"......

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just doing the shaft seals is not real bad, internal stuff is a pain , one must be REAL patient , especially when the ball screw shaft falls out..
Takes some special tooling to do the input valve.

Oh and dont junk the old one, it may be needed as a core for some one down the road.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you want to get a REAL nice steering box, spend a few extra bucks and get a Redhead Smoothest , tightest ford pickup steering, ever! :hail;Sweet Those guys really know how to fix the factory flubs on these steering boxes. The difference between a Redhead and a standard stock rebuild is like night and day. You will not recognize your truck.

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well dang, wish I had seen the redhead stuff this morning. I just replaced my box this afternoon with an advance auto special.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well dang, wish I had seen the redhead stuff this morning. I just replaced my box this afternoon with an advance auto special.
It pays to use the search feature before making a purchase. They[ve been mentioned many times before by a lot of folks before I got mine ;Sweet

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It pays to use the search feature before making a purchase. They[ve been mentioned many times before by a lot of folks before I got mine ;Sweet

It never really occured to me to look for an aftermarket steering box. Oh well maybe next time.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot, i have a rebuilt steering gearbox off the parts crew laying in my shop floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online