Steering Adjustment?

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
How can I adjust my steering wheel so it will be straight when i'm going down the road? It's driving me nuts cookoo

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the truck driving straight if you let off the wheel? Or it tends to pull to one side, and you have to hold the wheel turned slightly to the other side to counter the pull?

If she goes straight and just the wheel is cocked to the side you'll have to stretch one of the tierods and shorten the other one by the same amount - say your wheels is 30 degrees to the left, you should lengthen your driver-side tierod by turning the adjuster sleeve between 1/4 and 1/2 turn, and then you should shorten the passenger-side tie rod by the same amount. I can't tell you which way to turn the adjuster sleeves tho, but you'll figure it out when you crawl under the truck and examine them carefully.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Does it have a lot of play? I can turn it more than 1/4 either way before it moves the wheels...which is why I'm replacing my drag link and tie rod ends this weekend. Check to see if your tie rods are OK, otherwise you'll be eating up tires like I am. Tie rods are cheaper than tires! I wish I'd known that sooner...

edit: beaten a bit...my regular shop charges 70 for an align, this is prob. cheaper than most

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
Is the truck driving straight if you let off the wheel? Or it tends to pull to one side, and you have to hold the wheel turned slightly to the other side to counter the pull?

If she goes straight and just the wheel is cocked to the side you'll have to stretch one of the tierods and shorten the other one by the same amount - say your wheels is 30 degrees to the left, you should lengthen your driver-side tierod by turning the adjuster sleeve between 1/4 and 1/2 turn, and then you should shorten the passenger-side tie rod by the same amount. I can't tell you which way to turn the adjuster sleeves tho, but you'll figure it out when you crawl under the truck and examine them carefully.

It pulls the the left alil bit.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It pulls the the left alil bit.
While you're in the slow lane too? And you hold the wheel a bit to the right to counter it, correct? What if you get in the hammer lane on a divided freeway with a wide grass area between both directions of traffic, does she pull stronger to the left then, and you gotta hold the wheel more to the right to keep her going straight?

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
The closest freeway is 4 hours away lol but it always pulls to the left alil and yes i hold it to the right.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The closest freeway is 4 hours away lol but it always pulls to the left alil and yes i hold it to the right.

If your tires are at equal pressures on both sides of the truck, then you got a caster/camber issue. Check both sides to see of one of the front tires is wearing out unevenly, but if you've never personally done any alignment on this truck then you may be better off just taking it to a shop that does that kinda work.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, a kingpin jobbie, never really messed with one of those, or shall I say I haven't had to yet. So they got no adjustment at all?

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the old kingpin 2wd trucks you have to bend the beams to change camber. When I was working at an alignment shop we didnt have a beam bender and it wasnt worth it to get one for the amount of trucks that needed it, so we sent them to another shop.