? Starts up fine but can not get out of its way.

cur.bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1993 7.3 IDI will start up first thing with no problem. It has an electric fuel pump,new fuel tanks, new filters and new fuel. I can drive about a mile with no power. Out of gear it will idle and rev with no problem. Once I get about a mile from home it starts running normal. The rest of the day it will start right up and drive off with no problemo. My mechanic called and said pick it up because they could not figure it out. He is not a diesel mechanic. Is there some type of solenoid in the pump that is sticking or a sensor or what???? Thank you for your thoughts.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
1993 7.3 IDI will start up first thing with no problem. It has an electric fuel pump,new fuel tanks, new filters and new fuel. I can drive about a mile with no power. Out of gear it will idle and rev with no problem. Once I get about a mile from home it starts running normal. The rest of the day it will start right up and drive off with no problemo. My mechanic called and said pick it up because they could not figure it out. He is not a diesel mechanic. Is there some type of solenoid in the pump that is sticking or a sensor or what???? Thank you for your thoughts.

do you know what the injection timing is set at?

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the fast idle working at cold start?
Sounds like air intrusion problem, check fuel hoses at the clamps and the return lines on the injectors . My 93 has a habit of the bottom of the fuel filter comes unscrewed a little and leaks and runs rough.I have to overtighten it to stop this.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
fast idle wouldnt make a difference in power, i took mine off it gives alot more room around the injection pump and make turning it up or down a breeze, but my engine idles like 700 all the time so thats cold enough for when its cold, it kinda sounds like to me when the timing advance is kicking off then it is getting the power it should, cause it would take about a mile too kick it off:dunno

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah that makes sense dyoung14 ,I hear what your saying and I think thats a goood idea .I try to eliminate the most basic of problems like fuel leaks which will also effect the motor or a short period of time at startup. He mentioned new fuel system parts so I aimed my trouble shootin in that direction because I am used to shooting myself in the foot by forgeting to tighten up a hose a clamp or something stupid at the end of a project only to find it later after much struggle looking in the wrong direction.
nate

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How old are the IP and injectors? Maybe a sticky advance plunger, failing IP.

Heath

cur.bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The setup has less than 4,000 miles. That include a rebuilt engine, heads, injectors, IP, you name it and I have had to replace it including the trans. I have tightened all the clamps and checked all fittings today. I will wait until the morning and try again. The truck runs great once it warms up so I am stymied.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you would think if it was the timing advance it would run better unless the ip is advanced to far then when the advance kicks off its in the correct timing range. :dunno Does it run rough, miss, or smoke really bad when it has no power?

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maby their is an issue with the fuel heater so once the motor gets warmed a little the fuel starts to burn quicker and that would make the power difference maby? thats my guess

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online

No members online now.