Starting While Plugged In?

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any reason why you shouldn't start your truck while it is plugged in?

Is extended plug in time bad for truck? If I don't drive my truck all day and it is cold out, I will leave it plugged in.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I don't think it hurts to leave it plugged in all the time. Only racks up $ on the elec. bill. and wears on the life of the block heater. Not much from what I've seen tho. I don't think it hurts to start it up with it plugged in either. But once it's started, not much need to leave it plugged in. Just don't drive off with it plugged in, that's no good. When I was on the VFD we had some trucks that had special plugs for the batt. chargers that would spit out the chord when you turned the key. Pretty nifty add on.

infidel

Full of It
Reaction score
No problem running plugged in, in fact the manual for 24 valves recommends it.
I leave my heater plugged in all the time (cheap power) and have gone up to ten days at a time without starting it, still on the stock block heater 210k and eight years later.
Someone told me recently, not sure if I agree or not that by leaving the heater plugged in all the time that the warm oil has an easier time draining making for dry start.
My feeling is the same thing will happen when it's hot out, why worry about it?

Stoked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to leave mine plugged in all the time when I was on the VFD. Needed to be able to leave quick without having to wait. I also have started mine while plugged in. I don't think it hurts.

TPCDrafting, I've thought about putting a Kuzmaul (sp) on too.

Max Power

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't worry about however there is a slight concern. What happens is tiny bubbles (cavitation) which can occur in a cooling system could hit the heating element of the heater and either shatter or ruin the element. Now this doesn't happen immediately, but after a number of times could harm the operation of the heater.
Like I said I wouldn't worry about it. I have done it lots over the years without any problems. But you asked :D

BreaksEverything

TROUBLE INC.
Reaction score
I've had that happen only once over the years in a dt466

but as for dry starts Bill you're right it's bs warm oil will build pressure faster & move alot easier than cold oil

when you shut it down the oil drains down faster than the block can cool down

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been keeping mine plugged in during this cold snap. My batteries are toast or close to it, and it starts much easier in the mornings when its 15 degrees...

CHarlan

Reaction score
I was going to post the same question today.... dang, ya beat me to it! Oh well, at least my question is answered!

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the auto start feature on my truck:Thumbs Up so I just wanted to make sure I was doing ok.

FOXY005

Reaction score
I have my plug on a timer on a 20 amp circuit, the same one I use for the pool in the summer.
I usually have it come on at 3:00 AM and I leave for work at 7:00 AM I have felt the upper radiator hose before I left with the outside temp. in the low teens and it feels nice and toasty so I guess 4 hours is enough to warm it up, what do you think would it get warmer with a longer heat time or not ?

Max Power

Reaction score
4 hours should be lots for temperatures in the low teens.

FOXY005

Reaction score
OK

They are expecting single digits here this week so we will see how warm the upper hose is latter this week.

We usually don't get below - 10 Deg. here and they say it should start down to -20 without the heater plugged in so I think I am in good shape.

I usually plug in if they say it is going below 20 Deg. just like to have the warm oil at start up

QRTRHRS

Reaction score
I have too much going on to worry about timers and my barn electric is a write off anyway. I plug in the ram when it gets down into the thirties because I like quick heat. If the next day plan involves tractors, they get plugged in all night as well. Plans change so sometimes I don't need the tractor until later in the day but it stays plugged in anyway. I find the plugs wear out before the heaters.

CHarlan

Reaction score
yeah, I had to redo my old one on the 1991 ram.. then I had a long ass pigtail that would tie onto the brushguard tube, rather than barely stick out of the hood!