starting problem

torquemonster1

Reaction score
this is driving me insane. every morning and if i let the truck sit for a couple of hours after driving when i turn the key it will fire up for a second but if i don't give it a lot of throttle it will feel like it runs out of fuel and die. then when i try to restart it it just cranks over. i have to pump the lift pump a bunch then cranck it and pump the throttle alot to get it to fire. then once it fires i have to keep pumping the throttle to like 22-2500 rpm or it will die. and it blows a ton of white smoke everywhere. it covers my whole truck. after like thirty seconds or so it will warm up and i can stop pumping it and it will idle fine and the smoke will stop. the truck runs perfect after that and only blows black smoke. :D im pretty sure my pre- heater grid is not working and im not sure why. i don't know if im sucking air or what but i need to fix it. this can't be good for the motor. its a 96 3500 4X4, sorry i have to do my sig. any help would be great. thanks

dslmechanic

Reaction score
Are you running original stock injectors and have they been in the truck since it was new??? If so you may have a few injectors going down and allowing the fuel to bleed back to tank and also gives it a flooded affect.. You can get the truck running and allow it to idle while it's idling crack the injectors loose one by one and see if there is considerable change in each injector and the way it sounds this will give you and idea as to weather or not you have a injector issue .. It does however sound like you are having injector issues I just replaced six injectors on a 98 model and it was around 380.00 for all six ijectors..If you are mechaniclly minded you can do this yourself in about 3 hours.. Hope this helps you out .. Kevin

rubberfish

Reaction score
It sounds to me like it's sucking in air.
Tough to see too. If you fiddle with everything
all in one night and fix it, you'll never know where
the leak actually was. FWIW mine was at the filter.

torquemonster1

Reaction score
the motor is new its a jasper. yes there stock injectors. i doubt its the injectors but ill try that. the motor only has about 40,000 on it. i think its suckin air too but im not sure where. when i pump up the lift pump i can hear air squeaking from somewhere around the injection pump but i can't tell where. thanks

dslmechanic

Reaction score
Did jaspers give you a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty .. I did not know this was a fairly new engine but if you are hearing a squeak of air than you may want to look at the filter head and that pesky little fuel heater .. Hope you get it all straightened out.. Kevin

torquemonster1

Reaction score
no warranty it was in the truck when i bought it. the squeak sounds like its coming from the injection pump somewhere. is the fuel heater that canister behind the pump? i have a filter/water seperator attached to my intake manifold. i wasn't sure if it was a secondary filter or not.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Check your fuel lines. Unscrew them and make sure there is not a crack in the lip or something. Reinstall them and make sure they're snug and not lose. Sounds like you may be losing prime somehow. If there's a secondary fuel filter or something, also check the lines and connections at that point.

96dieselram

Reaction score
my truck has been doing the same thing, and i had my tank straps break last week and found out that the sending unit is leaking around the fuel lines, and i can grab them and move the up and down, it think this might be where i getting air from, but haven't had money yet to fix it, might be something to check on your truck.