starter

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if you starter isnt turning you motor over like a 4 cylinder you need a starter..

mine finally died after putting the replacement motor in.. which runs very nice...

turns over and fires right up in a flick of the key amazing how much faster it turned over... .:rolleyes:

oh and starters are a pita to get off of these trucks.. but after putting a motor in i cant see anything else being harder then that.. i have done my share of motor swaps

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Well, after you load test your batteries, are certain that the cables are in good condition, yes, maybe. Also, the solenoid should be replaced as well. Most times the old one is just fine but it's a preventative maintenance thing. I bought a Nippendenso from my local builder and have been absolutely pleased with it.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after you load test your batteries, are certain that the cables are in good condition, yes, maybe. Also, the solenoid should be replaced as well. Most times the old one is just fine but it's a preventative maintenance thing. I bought a Nippendenso from my local builder and have been absolutely pleased with it.

true

i would assume you would have battery's tested before replacing a starter.. cookoo

my power cable from the battery to the starter is pretty burnt from the old owner, and it still starts the truck great, mind you i wanna change this just haven't done so..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As slow as these starters decay its really tuff to "feel" them turning the engine slower but... Change them out for a new or rebuilt starter and the differance is nite and day. Any long cranking times wears down these starters faster than a short crank to start. Our idi engines should fire off in the first or second revolution of the crank. Any longer cranking and you have some issues. When my fuel system was tight I could let my truck sit for a week and it would fire off with less than one revolution of the crank. I now have a leak somewhere but I will restore the quick starts soon. Got my parts all built up for the surgery...

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
A new starter is a beautiful thing. I used to think it was a pain. A couple weeks ago I got my starter swapped out in 40 minutes from unhooking the batteries to hooking them back up. I was pretty happy.

Reaction score
That starter has gotta be one 'tough as nails' unit. Aside from being up to the task of turning over our big old lumps, they get every fluid imaginable leaking on them since the valley pan drains right onto it. Between fuel leaks and oil leaks, mine hasn't been dry in a long time. But with brand new 1000CCA batteries and wires that are in great condition, she'll fire off in less than a second every time for me.

Mike

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Wobble extensions are ur friend for starter removal on these trucks. R/Rs my starter in 25 minutes while on the side of the road at work.