starter trouble

jkeller3

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a problem with the starter.

When I turn the key to "start", it does starts just fine. Spins fast and catches on the second turn. Every time.

Until today.

When I released the key to the "run" position, the starter stayed engaged.

This is the second time this year that this has happened. First time I replaced the starter. And was fine until this afternoon.

What could be causing this? Is there something more than just the starter that I should be looking at?

Help, this thing is ******* me off!
John

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could also be the starter solenoid mounted on the inside of the passenger side fender. it could be sticking inside which is exactly what the one in my bros bronco was doing. Last time i bought one it was something like $10 CDN

jkeller3

Reaction score
Thanks 7.3. I've never thought of that. I'll replace that first, since it's so cheap.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

John

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
you know the starter solonoid on one of our freightshakers was doing the same thing changed the starter soloinoid and that fixed your same problem

sassyrel

Reaction score
the solenoid on the starter can stick also--not fun jumping out of the cab to remove the hot wire on ground cables!!!!

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
the solenoid on the starter can stick also--not fun jumping out of the cab to remove the hot wire on ground cables!!!!

I had to do that on one of mine. I ended up replacing the solenoid on the firewall, and the starter. It sucked because the truck was a manual and the emergency brake didn't work, so my fiancee had to jump over and hold the brake while I disconnected battery leads. I ended up burning up the starter because of how long it'd stay cranking until I got the batteries disconnected to stop the starter.

sassyrel

Reaction score
yup--while the mitshus are good starters--they dont like to be cranked on for a long time---the ones on a ****** diesel are even less forgiving--!!!! :D:D

jkeller3

Reaction score
Well guys, I replaced the solenoid on the inner fender. Now it's even worse. When I turn the key off and pull it out, it'll still be cranking. I'm going to start diving into the starter. It was replaced in April of this year. Two starters in one year. This sucks.

John

jkeller3

Reaction score
Replaced the starter also. If I cycle the key to start, the starter will engage. Then it will not disengage, even with the key turned to "off" and the key pulled out.

I'm now thinking the ignition switch is going bad. What do you all think.

John

C

cash

Try leaving your key alone (out) and jump the solenoid. I did not see what year your truck is.

sassyrel

Reaction score
what rick is saying, is that if it works properly by jumping the solenoid on the fender well--ignition switch funky--they aint hard to replace--and dont cost very little---

jkeller3

Reaction score
Let me make sure I understand. If I use a jumper wire between the two poles on the solenoid, it'll crank?!

Will it start and run? Or just crank? If it starts, how do I shut it down?

These may sound like dumb questions, but I've never jumped this way before.

John

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me make sure I understand. If I use a jumper wire between the two poles on the solenoid, it'll crank?!

Will it start and run? Or just crank? If it starts, how do I shut it down?

These may sound like dumb questions, but I've never jumped this way before.

John

it wont start unless the key is in the RUN position. if the key is out of the ignition and you jump the solenoid you are just sending power to the starter so the motor will turn over. as soon as you stop jumping the solenoid no power will be going to starter and the motor will stop turning over.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online