Starter problems (3bad in a row)

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK this started by my brother running my truck out of diesel and burning up the starter trying to crank/ roll out of the road. It continued this morning I checked and the starter would engage and try to turn the engine over but couldn't. Since I was pretty sure the starter had been smoked(you could smell it) I pulled it off while I put the batteries on charge. Replaced the starter with a new one from oreillys looked a little different but its what it called for. I installed it and when you try to crank it you can hear the starter spin but it doesn't engage the flywheel. I've replaced with two other starters and still no difference. I even shorted out the solinoid on the fender and it does the same thing. What am I missing and ideas please

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Only thing I can think of other than dirty connections is they are giving you the wrong starter. What is the brand and part number of the new one?

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Well there's your problem. That number is for a PowerStroke, something you most definitely don't have. Look it up for a 92 diesel. Part number should be Ultima 19418.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score