Stalling truck

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The FSV is a really simple device. It's a motor with a screw on the end of it, and a plastic valve that moves. The top can even be removed from the bottom. I've never tried to take one apart, but I wouldn't be surprised if you would be able to fix it. The top two pins run the motor. Just put 12 volts to them, and reverse the polarity to switch the other way. Their is a set of contacts with some diodes inside that turn the motor off when it reaches the end of it's travel. If it is blowing fuses, it might be that the motor is stuck, or the diodes are blown, but it would be real easy to bench test it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mel-
if you want to document on how to rebuild one, I have a dead one here with your name on it. It'll go into your package today. Been dreading going down to the post office after seeing the line yesterday.....Btw guys, mel makes it sound simple, but there's a six pin plug connector on it. :eek:
apex scotty-
pm me an addy. :D I think I have an extra one lying around here. After seeing the price for the new one years ago, I pull every single one on trucks headed to the mill. ;Sweet Now you are starting to get the idea of what happens when we strip a truck out here :Sly

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very thankful of your stripping trucks. I may have time to tear the old one off tomorrow and get everything prepped so once I do get the new one, I can just slap it back up in there. Scotty

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
towcat said:
scotty-
don't do that. you'll have feul all over the place :eek:
i'll second that,when i had to replace my rusted out fuel lines from the tanks,both were full,what a mess -cuss

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Calvin. I'll be glad to do that. I'm also working on an article on the 6.9 water separator and how they work and why they go bad. I've opened one up and have pictures. I believe they are serviceable!

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just so everybody knows, there are different FSV's. I am not sure what years are which, but the one Towcat just sent me does not fit. The lines are correct, but there is an electric plug, and it is a little wider on mine than the one I just recieved. So just some food for thought before tearing into one of these.. You ARE going to take a diesel bath, and the space it is jammed into is a little tight. Anyhow, no harm done, jsut wanted to fill you in.. Maybe they seperated the FSV's by the years, meaning 83-86 trucks got one kind and 87-to whatever got another. Anyhow, anybody with somemore know how than me can help me out with this. Scotty

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a thought but on my 76 i have a manual fuel switch valve for my dual tanks i dont know if it would work for diesel though.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scotty-
I am going to need a pin count on your original one. that way I can make sure you have the right one coming your way. rather than sending the first one back, can you box it up and send it out to the other scott(apextrans)?
apextrans/scott-
do a pin count on yours too. unplug the connector going into the valve and count the #of pins in the valve.
thanks.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
scotty-
I am going to need a pin count on your original one. that way I can make sure you have the right one coming your way. rather than sending the first one back, can you box it up and send it out to the other scott(apextrans)?
apextrans/scott-
do a pin count on yours too. unplug the connector going into the valve and count the #of pins in the valve.
thanks.

There are 5 flat pins on the one I took out of my truck.. I will have to undo all the lines from the one you sent me, and I was going to wait to get the other one before I have to take another diesel fuel bath, if that is not too much trouble, and heck no I will not send it to that OTHER Scott.... Just kidding, I think I still have his address also. Thanks Towcat. Scotty

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
scotty-
apextrans/scott-
thanks.
Here is a picture of the electrical hookup of the FSV that came OFF my truck.. Let me know if this helps you out at all.. Scotty

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 9

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
The FSV is a really simple device. It's a motor with a screw on the end of it, and a plastic valve that moves. The top can even be removed from the bottom. I've never tried to take one apart, but I wouldn't be surprised if you would be able to fix it. The top two pins run the motor. Just put 12 volts to them, and reverse the polarity to switch the other way. Their is a set of contacts with some diodes inside that turn the motor off when it reaches the end of it's travel. If it is blowing fuses, it might be that the motor is stuck, or the diodes are blown, but it would be real easy to bench test it.

I didn't see above... Whereabouts is the FSV located?

Mike

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, the FSV is located on the frame rail, next to the front of the front fuel tank. Can't miss it, it has one electrical connection and 6 devilishly hard to touch fuel lines that go in/out of it.. Scotty

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
apextrans said:
I swear our trucks are living parallel lives. Although my problem isn't as pronounced yet. Just won't run off the rear tank. Anymore FSV's for sale Towcat? By the way, 175.85 from the Stealership around here & it's NON RETURNABLE no matter what.

I did just call my local Ford Garage, and they said 137.00 for the FSV and asked if it was a 6 port or 3 port. Mine is a 6 port, just like Towcat gave me. But they also said it would be a week if he had to order it. Man, just wanna get the old girl running again. Feel bad for her just sitting there. She could be out towing the Jeep around and doing what I built her for.. I hate when the truck is down and I have time off. Really kills my plans.. Scotty

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
beretzs said:
I did just call my local Ford Garage, and they said 137.00 for the FSV and asked if it was a 6 port or 3 port. Mine is a 6 port, just like Towcat gave me. But they also said it would be a week if he had to order it. Man, just wanna get the old girl running again. Feel bad for her just sitting there. She could be out towing the Jeep around and doing what I built her for.. I hate when the truck is down and I have time off. Really kills my plans.. Scotty
scotty-
you can drive on it for the time being. the switch defaults to the front tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent