SPOOL INSTALL!!!

Ford420ci6point9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my spool for the Dana 60 front and I'm gonna install it. Gonna be so bad ass with a locked front off-road and hauling logs. Next step in a Detroit locker for the rear! Then maybe a ZF5??? So excited!!!

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mud/gravel you’ll be fine, just unlock hubs on the road. Might not like it if you use 4x4 on the road after heavy snow though. ARB’s are nice but at a 10th of the cost, that spoil will be awesome. Is it a mini spool or full?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I prefer a Lockright/Detroit sort of thing for the front. With a manual trans, they unlock when you're off the throttle.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ll be fine, driven plenty of spools/ welded gears on the street. Mostly in rear axles in drag cars but as long as you’re not using 4x4 on the street, and you know what conditions not to drive in it’s fine. It’s a simple upgrade that’s easily reversible if you don’t like it. Welding gears not so much

Ford420ci6point9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ll be fine, driven plenty of spools/ welded gears on the street. Mostly in rear axles in drag cars but as long as you’re not using 4x4 on the street, and you know what conditions not to drive in it’s fine. It’s a simple upgrade that’s easily reversible if you don’t like it. Welding gears not so much
Exactly. I know about unlocking both or just one when turning.
I would never put a spool on a front axle if its also used on the road
I only use 4x4 when I need it, it rarely ever does as it's a dually with pretty good tires, I mainly use it as a log hauler in my backwoods where there is some deep ****, I tried pulling a huge ass tree and I had my frame twisted so only one tire had traction, you know how that it with an open diff, so I figured why not lock it?
Any advice on pulling the front carrier would be helpful if you got any. :)

Ford420ci6point9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mud/gravel you’ll be fine, just unlock hubs on the road. Might not like it if you use 4x4 on the road after heavy snow though. ARB’s are nice but at a 10th of the cost, that spoil will be awesome. Is it a mini spool or full?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
full

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why mess with your open carrier? just weld it. the OEM open carrier is very stout! a spool is a downgrade in strength. if you like wasting your time dive in.

have fun!:Thumbs Up