spindle nut nub broke off

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm putting my truck back together, and the little nub or **** on the first spindle nut breaks off, what the heck. I was so close to being finished. I don't see the lock nut with the nub on napa, even the set doesn't look like it's there. Is this a critical part?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Nub? Can you get a pic?

Or are you talking about the spindle locknut? Yours should be a one-piece ratcheting locknut unless someone has previously replaced it with the older 3-piece ones (locknut with a dowel, washer with holes all the way around, then another locknut).

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think he's talking the front
imho.... yes it's important.
why? the whole thing will self tighten or loosen

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine has the 3 piece locknut, washer then other locknut. The 1993 service manual states it is the correct type:dunno. I found one 1 1/2 hours away for $50-Drool. yup front, sorry should have mentioned it.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I assumed you were talking about the front. Never seen the other type for a Sterling.

Check pricing on ebay, summit racing, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, etc. They all have 'em.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My 60 has the exact same setup. Never seen the ratcheting one on the front, personally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stinks, that there aren't any locally. I will hit up all the auto stores in Grand forks while I'm there, otherwise I guess I'll have to wait on a,mail order job. Thanks for the link by the way, that's the best deal I've found on a spicer set.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stinks, that there aren't any locally. I will hit up all the auto stores in Grand forks while I'm there, otherwise I guess I'll have to wait on a,mail order job. Thanks for the link by the way, that's the best deal I've found on a spicer set.
i have used sets. if you can't find one, I can send one out. you'll pay for the next day charges tho.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This axle has taken me almost a week to r&r seems everything I touch broke, lol, moved 5he caliper and the brake hose cracked, dropped a u-joint bearing had to buy a new u-joint, messed up a seal and since I live in the boonies it sets me back a day or 2 every time.