Soybean oil

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Saw where soybean oil is actually cheaper than diesel & was wondering if it would be possible to run the 75 PSD off of soybean oil instead of diesel :D :D

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didnt know they were making PSD's in 75...............................

But yes, you can run it off veggie oil in the warmer months without worrying to much about gelling, even if you cut it 50/50 with diesel it would be a savings. Alot of times you can get bulk veggie oil at Sams for about a buck a gallon......

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Yep, I've got a rare one of a kind 75 Power stroke diesel :D :D :D :D and fat fingers along with a mild case of duh tonight

One concern was the injectors & if the soybean oil (or other cheap cooking oil) would harm the injectors in any way & if the truck would be hard to start running cooking oil.

Will have to check out Sams this weekend. Been ridding the bike to work as much as possible as it's almost 25 miles round trip :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: However, come fall/winter it's going to get a workout ;p

So, how can ya keep soybean oil from gelling come winter :angel:

However, I'm in the process of putting in for another job & if that one works out (like I'm holding my breath) I'll be working less than 4 miles from home ;Sweet

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
25 miles round trip............. spare me :rolleyes:

Soybean oil wont hurt the jectors in any way shape or form. It has the same lubricity properties (if not better) that diesel. The only way to keep veggie oil from gelling in cool (much below 50 or so) weather is to install a modified secondary fuel tank that is used soley to keep the veggie in. This tank is modified with a coil of pipe in it that is plumbed to the radiator. You start the truck up on dino fuel and let it warm up the water, the water transfers its heat to the veggie then you switch over to veggie and it will burn fine (you may also need a heated filter, but the PSD's filter is in the valley where its very warm), then about 5 minutes before you shut it off you switch back to dino to purge the oil out of the fuel system so it doesnt gel while sitting.

Now if you are thinking about going into the used grease collecting business from resturants then you need to get set up with some additional prefiltration, but if you are just going to burn "new" cooking oil from a retailer its a dump and go application.

Check out GREASEL for info on how some of their systems work.

rdgordon4

Reaction score
Plans for heated veggie tank, Find where ?

I am brand new to site. I have a 2000 F250 PSD that I'm rebuilding auto trans now. I'm a great truck mechanic and fabricator. Any Ideas on plans for heated WVO supply for Wisconsin winters ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online