Source of 3.08 ring/pinions for 10.25?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 99+ gears will go into a 97 and older housing, the carrier is the same, so no change in the bearings there. The pinion is larger diameter, but the housing is the same, so the outside of the race is the same diameter. You just need to use the pinion bearings intended for the 10.5 to put a 10.5 pinion in a 10.25 housing. Almost all of the aftermarket "10.5" gears out there are 10.25 stuff.

David, you may find some Dodge D70's with 3.08's, they are somewhat common in 89-91 Dodge/Cummins trucks, but, the first gen dodge diff is a good 2-3" narrower than a Ford one.

I really don't think the first gen Dodge dana 70 is any narrower than a Ford of the same vintage. I think I read here that the Ford rear is 65" inches, correct? If so, that is what the Dodge rear is. Just as an aside, my buddy just swapped a set of 3.07 geared axles into his cummins powered 5 speed 72 Dodge crew. It tows happily at 60 mph in direct, and cruises as fast as you care to go empty in 5th.
Travis..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'm really interested in finding something. Either a Dana 61 with a 3.08 or a 10.25 gear set. The supposed Dana 61 semi-floater wih 3.08 gears that I paid $200 for sight unseen, and spent $200 in fuel, a favor from a friend and a weekend worth of time to go get, actually turned out to be a Dana 60 Semi float with 3.55's. A total waste of my time, and a real ******. Mental note.... never every buy a yard axle where the shoes are rusted fast to the drum. I'll have a nice scar on my forehead to forever remind me of what an idiot I was.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a wrecker that says he has a couple in his yard. Although even if all you did was get the gears and carrier, the shipping would probably still hurt.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
what about here?

mfg number F10.25-308
oem number E5TZ4209A
price $325.25

or here?

price $263.99

weather either one have it or not i don't know, but they have it listed.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I checked out the two links Chris provided. The first link, they were surprised that it was still listed. The guy said "Oh... I'll fix that right away". The second link, they carry them but are out. They said they were on back order from a manufacturer in Italy, but they expect to take delivery by late September. He said check back then.

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cat....25_ring_and_pinion_gears.html#SPECIFICATIONS

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally contacted superiod axle a few weeks ago when I did a part number search and their site popped up. I expressed surprise that they listed a 3.08 ratio for the sterling since I heard everyone else stopped selling them.

His answer was they did too, but didn't update the website. Basically you need to call or Email any hit you find because I've found probably half a dozen hits like that but they all are basically a case of a website not being kept up to date.

Although its nice to hear that some one is back ordering them. Who knows if they're serious about actually restocking though. Most aftermarket shops make money by selling low gears to guys with tall tires.