sometimes I hate her....need to vent

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while 99% of the time I love my 86, the other 1% she quickly earns the nickname "stupid little b!#*%"...

Normally she gets a fuel filter with every oil change, but this last time the strap wrench was crushing the filter and I couldnt get it off...so it got to live another day. When I started it this morning and notice its idling about 100 rpm low, and it hesitated to pick up rpms when I would hit the gas....clearly acting like lack of fuel or air, no big deal, this will deal with it when I get home. Well I get home and the wife wants to go shopping....fine, we all jump in the truck and it is downright slugish, to the point that when I hit the end of the block I decided to tell the wife I need to go back home and change the filter- should take me 15 mins....and the 3 hour fuel filter change begins.

After removing the first 2 pieces of the fuel filter I accepted the fact that there was nothing wrong with running my largest flathead through the strap wrench and filter with a 4lb sledge....new filter removal tool.

And my wifes remark when I finsihed was "want to get rid of it yet" to which I (without thinking) asked if she was "f--ing stupid, I am keeping this thing forever because it so easy to fix". She apologized and stated she thought I would be upset that I had "cut up my hands and spent 3 hours doing such a simple task of changing a filter on the top of the motor"...she totally missed the point that the truck just didnt want to go shopping.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude you need one of those cool filter wrenches that sort of are like a huge set of jaws/vice grips that are designed not to crush filters and hold them. I have 2 of them and love them. The strap wrench can cause a problem like yours, I hate when that's all I can find to use.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
After removing the first 2 pieces of the fuel filter I accepted the fact that there was nothing wrong with running my largest flathead through the strap wrench and filter with a 4lb sledge....new filter removal tool.

they opened a MAC's hardware up here a couple weeks ago, I went in there yesterday, wasn't impressed, but I did buy a 4' pipe wrench and a monster 4' channel locks, just because they were $20 Taiwanese steel LOL, wanna borrow them for your next filter removal???:rotflmao

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh I KNOW all about the "are you ready to sell it yet" schpeil. my 86 was the best truck,I miss it. At least you know not to put the filter on so tight now. lol

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I generally use an old v-belt and some vice grips, mostly cause I never think to get a strap wrench till I need it

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gotta freaking love it....the truck really did not want to go shopping.
got home early tonight and wifey wanted to start this adventure again...i kid you not, got on the freeway and withing 5 miles blew one of the rear duals. Fortunately it was an inner so damage was limited to the tail pipe (i knew she wanted new exhaust, so now we have an excuse), the fender lining, and one of the fender supports.

i give her a 10 for the passive-aggressive personality

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got home early tonight and wifey wanted to start this adventure again...i kid you not, got on the freeway and withing 5 miles blew one of the rear duals. Fortunately it was an inner so damage was limited to the tail pipe (i knew she wanted new exhaust, so now we have an excuse), the fender lining, and one of the fender supports.

10 for a passive aggressive personality? You're wife or the truck haha!

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score

pretty soon you'll have a new excuse....

"Sorry honey, but repairing my truck from all of your attempted shopping trips ate up all our savings...." :rotflmao:rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online