Some Basic ELECTRICAL information

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I came across some good electrical info in an old copy of Skinned Knuckles. Since I believe most of us are like me--a little intimidated by electrical stuff, ( I can SEE an fuel leak; I can't see an electron leak), I thought we all might benefit from a thread dedicated to providing that kind of help.

Here is one article on Why wire size is so important. It includes a box about how to make your own Starter cables.

The other page in the box describes the uses of a multimeter, and a continuity tester, and how they are different.. The material outside the box is the end of an article on getting your electrical system in order. You can see how **** the author is, but it pays off in eleiminating electrical gremlins. How often do we have elecxtrical problems that stop our trucks and are actually our own fault from a poorly done emergency repair that never got the proper fix?

Attachments

• Wiresize.pdf
    116.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20090730112859103.pdf
    149.7 KB · Views: 16

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, sir.

I had been seeking just such a chart as that AWG size chart.

I would like to have a hole-gauge, just like one of those drill-bit gauges, that instead of drill-bit sizes, had AWG sizes.

With such a gauge, one could easily identify just what size a particular wire was, instead of making an educated guess.

Does anyone know if such a gauge exists ??

Also, I would like to read that whole book; how would I go about finding it ??

Thanks.;Sweet

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
From McMaster-Carr:
Wire and Sheet Metal Gauges

Gauges have gauge numbers on one side, decimal equivalents on the other. All are hardened steel and approximately 3 1/4" dia.
U.S. Steel Wire Gauge— The same as W & M (Washburn & Moen) and American Steel and Wire Co. gauges, it measures steel wire and steel wire rod.
American Wire Gauge— The same as Brown & Sharpe gauges, it measures copper and aluminum wire and sheet.
U.S. Standard Iron and Steel Plate and Sheet Gauge— Designates sizes of iron and steel plates and sheets based on the weight per square foot per inch thickness.
Gauge Decimal
Gauge Type Range Equivalent Each

U.S. Steel Wire Gauge 36-0 0.009"-0.3065" 19305A34 $55.65

American Wire Gauge 36-0 0.005"-0.3249" 19305A33 18.97

U.S. Standard Iron and Steel Gauge 36-0 0.007"-0.3125" 8622A53 19.19

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a pretty thorough answer to my querry.

Thanks.

You didn't see a two-dollar one did you ??

Thanks.;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online