solid pinion bearing spacer for differential?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been chasing my tail of and on for the last few weeks trying to locate a solid spacer kit for the sterling 10.25" rear end in my truck. So far I've found ONE website that carries a kit for them, but when I enquired, they gave me the run around, referred me to a distributor that was 'authorized' to sell to canadianscookoo who then never got back to me after saying they would send me a paypal invoice..........

http://ratech.stores.yahoo.net/sopibespwish.html

Ok, so I read some anecdotal evidence that ford used the same crush sleeve on everything from the 7.5" all the way up to the 10.25" rear end. Some other sources indicate that the 8.8, 9, and 10.25 share the same spacer, and therefore, a solid spacer shim kits listed for the semi-floaters *should* work on the diffy in my truck.

Help.......LOL:rolleyes:

Can I get a kit that is listed for an 8.8 or 9 rear end and expect it to work for me?
....or if not, where can I find a solid spacer shim kit that will work?

I even sent off an Email to Yukon to ask for a distributor which went unanswered (even when I enquired about 3.08s some one got back to me...:rolleyes:). I guess nobody wants my money.:dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call randys ring and pinion, if need be I can ship it but i think they do canada.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with the factory crush sleeve method?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They eventually work loose, much faster when loaded or worked hard, I have done mine twice a year. It usually ruins the yoke because by the time you hear a noise the splines are half gone.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score

crush sleeves suck. Hard to get a consistent pinion preload, needs to be replaced if you have to take out the pinion for any reason and then reset to the hard to get preload. Generally find horrible times to fail while you're beating on the rear axle and wipes out the gear set.

Solid spacers and shims fix all of those problems for a little bit more work in the initial gear setup.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just to double check, the spacer can be serviced without having to remove the pinion gear?

no, you have to pull the pinion to remove any of the shims/spacer. But if you pull the pinion you can put it back in with the same spacers/shims and it stays consistent.

Crush sleeves get used once, so if you have to pull the pinion for any reason you get to buy a new crush sleeve, then set it all up again.

I've never had any luck with crush sleeves and getting the preload/crush depth right. Maybe I'm just an idiot that can't turn a wrench, or maybe a spacer and some shims is really just that much easier.

Do some searching in the ford forum @ pirate I linked earlier.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only the front pinion bearing needs to come out, the crush sleeve will come out. At least mine does.