So what did you do with your truck today?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Read this.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?34788-Compatability-of-ZF-Gas-460-trans-with-IDI

Top bolt holes will line up. Others will have to be re-drilled, including the dowels.

If it were me, I would unbolt the transmission adapter you already have on the back of your engine, take it over to the transmission to mark the holes that will need to be redrilled.

Many have done this.

I've got another 6.9 im gonna use to mark it I just wasn't sure

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally gettin' the camper topper in shape. The big challenge was getting the big rear panel on:
You must be registered for see images attach

When we bought it, dude was in a hurry, so we just threw the door in the bed. Been running with a beat-up tailgate and open back of the topper ever since. The whole back panel hinges at the top, and there are two self-locking supports (this was built in the pre-strut era I'm sure) that lock in the full up position. The "hinge" is just one rolled edge of aluminum strip on the panel inside another rolled edge on the top of the opening. I was brainstorming how it went on (seller didn't know, he was selling it for his dad). Finally dawned on me that the one roll edge SLIDES into the other from the side. No way I was gonna be able to do that, with my hernia. Fortunately there were some college dudes out in the street kicking a soccer ball around and playing with sparklers (this was actually on the 4th...). Asked 'em for some help, two tall dudes came and held it up while I guided it in. All the hardware needed cleaned up, refurbished, etc. Got the awesome casement windows working (needs crank handles). We keyed our other topper locks to use the same key, and BONUS, the storm door locks/unlocks with the same key.

It's gotta be 40 years old if it's a day. Light sockets behind those lenses are shot. Anybody know a good source for lights about this size/shape, red and amber? Prob. want to go LED.

Bunch of other odds and ends. Reverse camera (check out the blind spots that big rear panel creates), new(ish) driver's side taillight. Pair of Realistic Minimus-7 speakers that we've had banging around for 30 years, in and out of different vehicles, work rooms, etc; mounted 'em behind the seat at the cab corners. Fixed the stoopid broken seat adjuster cross-wire with the remains of an old hood cable removed from one of the PSDs (I'm sick; I never throw things out...). Noticed I had the driver's window division bar installed wrong, so fixed that.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
fixed my tip so it's not stickin a foot out and mounted the flags

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been working on swapping in a Saginaw power steering pump. Made an adapter to bolt it on to the stock C2 bracket, got a remote reservoir mounted up, along with a big cooler. Rigged up the stock pressure line to the pump. Got it bled out, cranked the steering wheel to the lock, exploded the fitting off the end of the hose, puking about a gallon of ATF across the garage. Rigged up a second pressure line I had, and blew that one up too, this time oiled down the driveway. She's dead in the water till Monday morning; I'll go to a hydraulic shop and have the correct hose made.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i looked at a pile of parts that cost me over 2k,
then i looked at my truck and the amount of work im going to do to it next.
then i looked at my calender.. and cried because i wont beable to get to it for another 2 weeks.:(

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
3 quarts of 40w in the trans and rigged up a super hack/redneck gpc bracket.
Fugly, but it works.

Need to find a new air filter (looking for paper with 3"outlet), repack wheel bearings, rotate tires, and fix leaky hub seal by Thursday night.

Last edited:

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Got tired of my cracked headlight so I bought new ones and a light bar

How can I upgrade my headlight harness so I get the full power out of these i wanna light up the road pretty good

Last edited:

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
One front wheel bearing repacked, cleaned out rear diff breather. I work slow apparently.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Fixed" my wandering steering. Shop said the pitman arm was on its way out. Pitman arm? There's nothing to wear on it; ***? Well, when the wife turns the wheel back and forth, I feel a "rocking" motion between the arm and the sector shaft. Arm for an '83-'86 F250 4x4 is rarer than a hen's tooth, evidently. Just as I'm about to despair, he!!, I wonder if the nut might be..... Sure 'nuff, the nut was loose enough I could turn it with an adjustable wrench and almost no effort :eek:. Probably just the sticky greasy coating of Fluid Film keeping it from falling off... Picked up a 1 5/16" socket, torqued to 150 ft-lb (limit of my torque wrench), plus "a little more", at least to get it in the ball park of the 170 spec. Wow, there goes about 90% of the wander! Granted, it's not like the wife's '95 with the RedHead box and Flaming River shaft. But I at least feel like I can point the truck down the road.

Also fixed the busted seat adjuster cross-wire with the old decom hood cable from the '95 (plus a key ring...).

Next - re-glue the rear view mirror mount I just knocked off tonight, trying a little too hard to adjust it..... :rolleyes: :mad:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next - re-glue the rear view mirror mount I just knocked off tonight, trying a little too hard to adjust it..... :rolleyes: :mad:

what did you use to glue it back on? seems like the glue now a days sucks the big one, all of my older cars have had no issue even after 50 years of service.

my F350, lasted literally months. new glass installed by a professional.