So what did you do with your truck today?

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a summer of drips... antifreeze and diesel, flashing OD lights, hard upshifts, doors that rattle going over bumps, aftermarket radios that get hot and shut down or are ruined, gauges that are not accurate, I've doggedly but slowly addressed all issues and after several hundred miles of use feel I again have a reliable vehicle that I don't have to constantly tinker with.
All it took was looking at new diesel pickups, the price, the rarity of 8 foot beds, the complexity, and hearing stories of newer emissions diesel pickups and how they fail ... to make me appreciate the one I brought to the dance.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a summer of drips... antifreeze and diesel, flashing OD lights, hard upshifts, doors that rattle going over bumps, aftermarket radios that get hot and shut down or are ruined, gauges that are not accurate, I've doggedly but slowly addressed all issues and after several hundred miles of use feel I again have a reliable vehicle that I don't have to constantly tinker with.
All it took was looking at new diesel pickups, the price, the rarity of 8 foot beds, the complexity, and hearing stories of newer emissions diesel pickups and how they fail ... to make me appreciate the one I brought to the dance.
This should be in @IDIBRONCO s thread "who's smarter". You've made a fine decision sir.

Here's to you Mr Old Diesel truck man......

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230826-054347.jpg
    Screenshot_20230826-054347.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 8

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Finally got around to cutting out the Lance 6 pin connector in the bed of my truck and wiring in a standard flat 7 pin connector. Made a pigtail out of the old connector so whoever gets my old camper doesn't need this proprietary connector anymore.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the sleeve couplings in my stainless steel exhaust with V-band clamps. No more leaks and easier to take apart if needed. Maybe someday I'll upgrade to a 4" pipe but until then, this is will do.

Attachments

• IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 11

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Needed some fill dirt to fill some low spots after digging up and replacing a section of sewer line over the weekend. I decided to make the 84 do a little more work than the little bits of wood I have been hauling with it.

Not sure how much weight is on it but didn't squat it much. With the short sideboards I could only get 4 buckets on it. I think it could handle double that, tomorrow night when I unload it with a shovel I may wish it couldn't hold what it did though.

James

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drove it about 120 miles today, 200 yesterday and about 200 the day before that. Ran great, no issues. Exhaust leak was/is annoying though… little crack at the front of the drivers side exhaust manifold… argh… before I thought it was a lifter, but now I’m pretty certain that it’s an exhaust leak.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, if you fix that, you'll have a bit more boost. At least in theory.
I know… but I’ll have to get a different exhaust manifold, and the time to switch it out… seems those manifolds are still available new…

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today, I used it as a work bench/ladder to help me put OSB on top of my slowly-coming-along garage addition. I thought it sounded better than trying to throw the OSB up from the ground.
I did the same when I built my 12x16 shed. Ladder from the back of the pickup to the framing and one 4x8 at a time. Not sketchy at all! :joker: The lowest eve of my shed is probably 10ft up(cause its up on blocks) so that's why it was sketchy. But hey the 3.5ft extra lift from the pickup was great!
Nice framing, looks straight and plumb from here!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Nice framing, looks straight and plumb from here!
Thanks. I used a level when I was installing those posts. That part came naturally. I've built quite a bit of fence before. I only wish that I had been as careful when hanging the 2x6 joists that the OSB is going on. Those are slightly off.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The shingles are on my garage addition and I got a start on one wall. I used the truck as a boosting point for the shingles. I put them on the tailgate and then stood on it to put them on the roof. Sounded better than climbing the ladder with them. Somehow, it took EXACTLY three squares. A quick estimate made me think that I would have about 1/2 bundle left over, but I was wrong. Sometime, between the shingles and the wall, I loaded up the left over firewood from last year and took it home. I wish that I could say that I put the shingles on. I asked a friend's wife to help me get started, but she just took over and put them all on. Since she was part of a roofing crew for a lot of years, she was much faster than I could have hoped to be.

Attachments

• 102_4311.JPG
    102_4311.JPG
    519.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 102_4312.JPG
    102_4312.JPG
    468.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 102_4314.JPG
    102_4314.JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 102_4317.JPG
    102_4317.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 9

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well yesterday, I went up to Manhattan and worked on a friend’s 85 F250, 6.9 C6 4WD regular cab flatbed. Light tan, zero rust. Super clean truck. It is a non AC truck, and the radiator was bad. So we modified his core support to accept the regular radiator, since they are bigger and more readily available, and like 5x cheaper.

This afternoon after church, I might go back up there, to put the grille and bumper back on, plumb up the transmission cooler, build brackets for the cooler, replace the master cylinder and bleed the brakes. Then try and get it started.