So I get pulled over this morning......

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my way to work this morning and came up on a power stroke behind a very slow moving car. They are doing alot of construction and we couldn't pass until we got through the construction. As soon as we hit the 4 lane it was on. We ran 80 for a good 13 mile stretch to the next town. As we rounded the last 1 mile straight away coming up to a sharp curve that takes you into town, we are of course still rolling pretty good ( I had a really nice black cloud following me at that point!) it occured to me that if I get a ticket I absolutely can NOT let Mel know LOL and then I see them. Two cars sitting on the right side of the road and I start thinking " please be someone broke down." I see a rather official looking fellow walk out into the road and start waving the PSD over and his buddy starts waving me over somewhat road block style. Seeing as how they let the cars behind us go I am thinking we are sunk. I noticed 2 things right off- the officers have on polos and khakis instead of uniforms and their cars are unmarked. They ask the guy to get out of his truck, and one of the officers goes over to his car and pulls a long tube out of the trunk. :dunno The first guy finally comes up and asks my name, walks to the back of my truck and gets my tag #, then tells me he is with the IRS and they would like to test my fuel. He pulls some out of the front tank, said you are good to go, have a good day! I was still trying to come to terms with NOT getting a speeding ticket as they walked to their cars which were about 20 ft in front of my truck, and when I took off I admit- I made sure they knew they had indeed pulled over a diesel when I left. :D

I know I have heard they will check you, I have never actually heard of anyone being checked tho..... that was great fun this morning let me tell you. :rolleyes:

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
they do that around here a good bit, the DOT/IRS people pull over diesel trucks all the time. I personally have not had them dip my tank yet, but i am sure it will happen sometime. Thats why i dont run offroad fuel eventhough i would love too!!!

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
IRS?? I'd have said so what do you want my tax statement?? Under what authority does the IRS have to check motor fuels?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
wow, crazy story, i have never heard of that.....

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the nifty little paper he handed me ( complete with the IRS logo) it was a " Taxable Fuel Inspection." I'll have to scan this paper at home and post it. But he did identify himself as being with the " department of Treasury-Internal Revenue Service."

RedTruck

Reaction score
wow, crazy story, i have never heard of that.....

Not really that crazy...IDI's pass powerstrokes all the time! :D

Good to hear ya didn't get a ticket!

Paul

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad i live in NC......

Clicky

see this thread..

Here

That law doesn't pertain to dyed offroad diesel which is what they are mostly checking for with the tubes.

I was checked many times driving my semi truck and every time it was in NC at a rest area by the NC hwy patrol motor carrier enforcement....IE diesel copsLOL

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Tanya what did he do with the fuel he took from the tank? Did he put it back in? If not, send 'em a bill for "fuel compensation":rotflmao

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking! If they wanted some of my fuel, I'd say at $3.00 a gallon, you'll have to pay for it.

Darn! There for a minute you had my hopes up. ;Poke :D

I wonder what they would have thought if the fuel was black? LOL

Reaction score
:DISSCLAIMER: -cuss First off yes, I do have some sort of psychiatric problems, at least that's what the Doc says. So, I take pills that are supposed to help me cope with the "general population"s lack of intelligence and overall PC acceptance of unjust acts. :DISSCLAIMER:

As a CDL holder, I signed away my Constitutional right to privacy, along with several others (including my right to bear arms) while operating a commercial vehicle similar to the way they also seem to get waived away by the UCMJ.:dunno

OK. I signed the papers. My (reluctant) choice, or perhaps coerced manipulated compliance. I have never signed any waiver that would allow them to search my (private non commercial) vehicle simply because the engine runs on Diesel Fuel. No, I never gave the DMV any paperwork that was any different than for my gas powered cars.

Probably setting myself up for a shootout by making this statement, but "I will not have my tanks 'dipped' without a written warrant" NO, some official signing some blanket any vehicle document is unacceptable to me. Why not just comply and duke it out later in court? That works for some things and for some people.

Last edited:

pafixitman

Reaction score
Never had my tanks dipped but....Coming to work the other morning, about 6:45 am, 2 lane back country road, posted 35 mph tooling along down the middle of the road, straightening out the turns...when all of a sudden there is a Crown Vic behind me. :eek: He lights me up and I pull over and shut down the truck. "You know you were going 62 in a 35? I'm thinking "I do now" as I hand over my license. He looks at it, asks were I am headed, how long have I lived at my address etc. Cuts me loose with a tongue lashing.

Turns out he was a detective for the local po-po dept. He did not have a ticket book or the desire to wait for a uniform.

He probably thought I was drunk! I hate hitting mangeled road shoulders with an empty dually truck. Too much bouncing so I tend to ride the middle if it is safe to do. Oh well, he made his point and my right foot has lightened up a bit.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess you got lucky that there wasnt a patrol with radar around.

I was pulled over on August 27th at 4:30am on my way to work also. But I was pulled over for not having an inspection sticker. I tried to explain to the cop that it is self inspection and does not requre a sticker because it is diesel powered and has a GVW of over 10,000 but below 17,999 and does not even require a diesel opacity test.

They issued me a summons that could cost me $153.00. I have since called the DMV and they sent me the information I need to show the judge.

I am also going to show the judge how in my opinion they wrote the ticket for the wrong statute. Also there is the possibility that even if I am found not guilty which I think they will have to I might be charged court costs. This way they still get some money for there mistake. I will say this though if I win my case and I think I should and the judge imposes court costs anyway I will give him a few words that would be worth paying the court costs over. I will be nice about it and wont use vulgar language but I will tell them that the only reason that this ticket was written in the first place is because the town needed the money and thats how they extort it from people.

The statute they wrote me up for

The statute I think they should have written it up for

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably setting myself up for a shootout by making this statement, but "I will not have my tanks 'dipped' without a written warrant" NO, some official signing some blanket any vehicle document is unacceptable to me. Why not just comply and duke it out later in court. That works for some things and for some people.

He only pulled out enough to see the color and released it back in the tank.

Dean- the last line on the little paper he gave me says this:

The Internal Revenue Service may fine any person who doesn't allow an authorized inspection. The fine is $1000 for each refusal. The fine is in addition to the manufacturer's tax on taxable fuel and the penalty for the misuse of dyed fuel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online