singal or dual wheels

Austin idi 7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i have a 91 f-350 diesel and iam doing a restoration on it and i was wondering if it would be worth it to make it into a dual wheel truck i do alote of heavey towing and it pushes sno all winter.....so wouldd dual wheels help me or just coast me more in tires an parts....an do i need to change my aexels or can i just change my hubs out....i got the dual wheel bed.....and i wanna do this right....iam not looking 4 a hak job....no spacers or anything like that

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its more a question of what look you want, rather than functionality, although a dually can't be beat for hauling heavy stuff.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I can tell ya Austin that the dually will be great for hauling the loads that you are, but for pushing snow, you'll be cusssing it out.

Mater is a single and unless I keep about 1500k of weight in the back, I'm at the mercy of the snow when pushing.
All the extra weight off the front of the truck really makes the ass end of these trucks squirley.
The dual tires distributes the weight more over a larger surface area and lessens your winter traction.

Austin idi 7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok but...... can i turn singal wheel axels to dual wheel axels front is a dana 60 an the rear is a ford 10.25....andd i don't wanna use spacers

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You could always do the dually conversion and then pull the outer tires off for plowing.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The front ...yes. All you need is the dually adapters. The rear? I'm told the DRW axle is narrower than a standard SRW, but i'm not so sure

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Either way yer gonna have to get the spacers if ya convert.

Goldie came with the dually adapters and I haven't hav any problems with em.;Sweet

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Thats what i am saying. There is NO difference i the front axle, dually or not. Ford and everyone else just bolts a adapter on the lug studs and it pushes the flange out about 6-8 inches for a dually wheel.

Does anyone no for certain if a rear dually axle is narrower than a SRW axle? And i'm not talking a cab-n-chassis axle, i know they are

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes, the dually differantial is narrower than a srw differantial. Did I say that right???:dunno do know there is a differace but... Spacers do work but you need to "find" the correct steelones... Not the aluminum spacers....

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok cool and i have a machina shop to my use my uncle owens the shop......would the spacers be hard to make

....depends on your skill, tools, etc. I would suggest getting a set at a wrecking yard as there must be thousands 'out there'. The trick is using the phone/net to find a set. Then there would not be any question as to their strength/material/reliability/fitment, etc.

Just my two cents worth-

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC the dually axle is actually 4" wider than the SRW axle - remember when Cat_Rebel bolted up a pair of dually wheels on his SRW and they wouldn't clear the leaf packs, well that's cause of the 2 extra inches per side the DRW axles have over the SRW. Just get a dually rear axle and bolt it in place of your SRW, problem solved.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the dually axle for a standard pickup is wider to accomodate the bud wheels.

Now on a cab and chassis truck the frame rails are narower and I've been told that dually axle is the same as (or close to) the pickup truck SRW axle with the spring perches moved in.

And duals in snow suck! I just installed a Limited slip but havent had the chance to try it out yet...