Sick baby moose

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lately my 89 has been kind of sluggish and the egt's on the high side, probe post turbo. My Hypermax crossover pipe has a fitting for mounting the probe in the pipe, right below the turbo, so I moved the probe there.
After taking a test drive, my freeway cruising egt's were at 800 and as soon as a tried to accelerate harder, it would hit above 1100.
I took the truck home and turned the fuel down a couple flats and now the truck runs like crap.
I have similar symptoms to a plugged fuel filter. I have to push the throttle down more than normal to accelerate and I'm having to put my foot through the floor to get the thing to get moving. The fuel is not turned down too low either, as I had it a little too high in the first place.
I changed the filter today and that didnt make a difference either. My boost will only hit just a hair over 4 psi.
I had a member here time the truck a few months back and its perfect.

What really burns my ass, is my 86 has a stock Uhaul pump and has run circles around this truck for the last few months and the non gated turbo on that truck will hit 9 psi easily.

Does this sound like something taking a crap on my pump? It is a few years old and has been run daily since it was installed but cant see how it would be worn out already.:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Kenny my guess is the pump may be starving for fuel or the timing has slipped. Recheck the timing before you replace much more on the engine. Might even check the fuel pressure and volume AFTER the filter.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boost leak??

Checked that. This is something more internal, when I push the accelerator, I dont even get any response for the first inch or better.
Its acting a lot like the pump on did on my 86 when it crapped out and like I said earlier, its just not been right for the last couple of months.

My biggest issue, is I go out of town on quite a few long trips with it and have to leave for Reno next week.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold starting / hot starting any different? How about the sound? Really smooth? It sounds like it is extremely retarded on the timing. Check to make sure the arm on the side of the pump isn't sticking one way or the other when you run the throttle by hand.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Have someone press the foot throttle all the way to the floor. Then you need to watch the throttle action on the injection pump. Might not be getting full wide open throttle from the sound of you saying nothing happens till the peddle is pressed 1 inch. Might want to install the pump from the other truck too if you find issues with this pump. So far its not proven the pump is sick yet.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have someone press the foot throttle all the way to the floor. Then you need to watch the throttle action on the injection pump. Might not be getting full wide open throttle from the sound of you saying nothing happens till the peddle is pressed 1 inch. Might want to install the pump from the other truck too if you find issues with this pump. So far its not proven the pump is sick yet.

Well, found the problem. The throttle assembly has broke loose from the pump shaft. I cant get the assembly off of the pump but its loose as can be. So now what?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you were Mel it would be an easy repair but look at this video of what the pump internals looks like. Its not a job for a first timer but see what you can have done in a good repair shop near you. Its time to remove the pump no matter what you install on that engine. Can you take a pic and post what broke. I'm sure plenty of others will want to see this odd failure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veEONfhL3Uk

Last edited:

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went ahead and ordered a new pump and injectors. My injectors are original, figured I better do them at the same time.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That sounds like the best idea Kenny. Are you buying local or from a well known builder. What code injectors are you installing.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me make sure I understand this. So you are saying the actual metal plate that forms the "arm" part of the throttle mechanism has come loose on the throttle "shaft"? This is highly unusual, as those arms are pressed onto the shafts from the factory, and we do not separate them during a rebuild. Even though your pump is out of warranty, I would replace that shaft for you and only charge you the price of the shaft and about 15 minutes of labor. But then you say you already got a pump and turned that one in as a core? Why didn't you call me about this? I'm a little disappointed that you didn't come to me first. That doesn't make a lot of sense. Everybody knows I stand behind my products.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me make sure I understand this. So you are saying the actual metal plate that forms the "arm" part of the throttle mechanism has come loose on the throttle "shaft"? This is highly unusual, as those arms are pressed onto the shafts from the factory, and we do not separate them during a rebuild. Even though your pump is out of warranty, I would replace that shaft for you and only charge you the price of the shaft and about 15 minutes of labor. But then you say you already got a pump and turned that one in as a core? Why didn't you call me about this? I'm a little disappointed that you didn't come to me first. That doesn't make a lot of sense. Everybody knows I stand behind my products.

No, I didnt turn the pump in. I bought this pump from you over 4 years ago and didnt think it would be fair to bother you with it but if you'd like to fix it, I'll keep it for a backup.

Yes, the plate broke free from the shaft but is still attached, just not tight.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Now thats a stand up kind of business guy Mel. Thats what makes you better then the rest. Kenny I was wondering why you didn't contact Mel about this before you went and replaced it. I do understand not feeling it was worthy of mentioning to Mel because of the length you had the pump but he stands behind what he builds no matter what. I'm betting he will be looking at this part on all pumps from now on too. In all honesty I have never read a post nor seen a pump with this issue on any wrecking yard engine. I have seen a few but not as many as Mel or russ have seen.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lately every time I post something around here, I end up getting slammed for screwing up! Mel is an awesome guy and builds a great product, period!
I depend on my trucks in the summer for my evaporative cooler repair and installation business. I have to go to Reno next week for a job and I also have a job in Utah this week, on hold until my truck is fixed.

I had no choice but to hop on line and rush order parts to get this truck going again.

I honestly didnt want to bother Mel with this issue, this pump is over 4 years old, run daily and has a ton of hours on it. I have moved and re mounted this pump numerous times between several vehicles and the broken arm issue is probably my fault for all the times its been messed with.

I have no problem eventually sending this pump to Mel for repair but at the moment, I feel I took the appropriate steps to get this truck moving again as quick as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.