shutdown solenoid replacement

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I nee to replace the shutoff solenoid on my 84'. The pump was rebuilt in sept by a "good shop" in my town, but now the old truck is having a hard time shutting down. I have had this problem before the rebuild & I run some 2cycle oil in the fuel for lube. The oil worked for the longest time but now I have to throttle it up a lot to shut down. Anybody got some good instructions for doing it? :D
thanks Jason

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I think it was Mel that found out to make sure the top cover is installed safely we need to add power to the solenoid before the cover in placed on the pump. That way you stand no chance of installing it wrong and have a runaway engine.... Maybe he or someone else will chime in on this.... Please don't do nything till severl others have posted as to this being correct or not... I never have needed to do this.... Yet...:angel:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Just to verify that it is the solenoid, Start the truck, and then go unplug the forward wire (towards the radiator) on the IP. That is what powers the solenoid.

If it was me I would go raise hell at that shop. Did they not offer a warrenty?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all fairness to the shop, and anyone else interested in this topic, be it known that nobody replaces these solenoids until they are determined to be bad. They ARE expensive. All of our Moose products are solenoid tested down to 5 volts. As long as they hold, they are deemed good. Now, that said, it is actually the responsibility of a SPRING to shut down the pump. The solenoid simply overpowers the spring, and keeps it from doing its thing. But if your truck is not shutting down, then either your spring is kaput or your govenor assembly is sticky. Removing the top cover will allow you to find out. See my article in our tech section on "fuel injection servicing" for pics and details.

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I went & taked to the shop & the tech that did the rebuild. My truck goes in the shop at Diesel Performance Engineering (Savanah, Mo) for soleniod replacement for free.:thumbsup: Got to love a standup shop!! Thanks to all who chimed in though.:D