Should I buy this truck?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals(?),
I'm currently truck shopping again and looking at a used 2001 F350 XLT. I have almost no experience with Super Duty trucks. I've had three OBS PSDs and two IDIs. I just sold one of my 97 PSDs, so I could find a SD for towing our fifth wheel.

The SD I'm looking at, has 541,600 actual miles on it. The truck is sitting on a dealer's lot, so I probably wouldn't be able to talk to the PO. It was a one-owner truck. I'm hoping that maybe there may be some maintenance records available, through the PO. I know the decision will ultimately be mine, but I'm looking for opinions.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
In all honesty thats alot of miles! im sure its had an engine or been rebuilt, if not expect to, and really i wouldnt pay alot for a SD with that many miles even if it is that new

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
In all honesty thats alot of miles! im sure its had an engine or been rebuilt, if not expect to, and really i wouldnt pay alot for a SD with that many miles even if it is that new

Hey man!

I'd be getting a killer deal on it! I was thinking that most everything that is a wear item has already been replaced at least twice already... I will be looking for blow-by, as well as many other things.

I looked at a 2000 F350 today, but it had lots of blow-by, inoperable door lock motor, one bad tie rod end at the pitman arm, broken parking brake cable and needed four new tires. This guy still wanted $11,000 for it...

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals(?),
I'm currently truck shopping again and looking at a used 2001 F350 XLT. I have almost no experience with Super Duty trucks. I've had three OBS PSDs and two IDIs. I just sold one of my 97 PSDs, so I could find a SD for towing our fifth wheel.

The SD I'm looking at, has 541,600 actual miles on it. The truck is sitting on a dealer's lot, so I probably wouldn't be able to talk to the PO. It was a one-owner truck. I'm hoping that maybe there may be some maintenance records available, through the PO. I know the decision will ultimately be mine, but I'm looking for opinions.

You should be able to pick it up for cheap. Have the dealer run the VIN number. It will show any dealer work done to it.

So you are really digging into the dark side.:rotflmao

Ditch the IDI's for a PSD. Now the OBS fora a SD.::D:D:rotflmao

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats alot of miles but the psds do go for a ton of miles in tow trucks and box trucks.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
butif it lookslike it was taken care of and runs fine and all,i wouldnt let the mileage bother me.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
You should be able to pick it up for cheap. Have the dealer run the VIN number. It will show any dealer work done to it.

So you are really digging into the dark side.:rotflmao

Ditch the IDI's for a PSD. Now the OBS fora a SD.::D:D:rotflmao

I knew you'd be chiming in on this one!!!

According to the dealer, it has the towing pkg.. Is the tranny cooler adequate??

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I knew you'd be chiming in on this one!!!

According to the dealer, it has the towing pkg.. Is the tranny cooler adequate??

Yes it is. But, bigger is better. The V10 cooler is a good upgrade. Same as the Tru Cool unit, set up with Ford brackets.

The 5R110 cooler (6 oh no) cooler is the best.

Give it a good test drive.

My test drives will make the dealer a little nervous.:rotflmao:rotflmao.

If the dealer is white knuckling the oh **** handle:eek:, and the truck dose nothing funky:D It should be a keeper.:thumbsup:

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I have the perfect 5er puller could be yours, its a little over kill for my pop up.
I like my SDs never had any major problems other than 1 motor.
wheel bearing assemblys will last 50k or maybe 200k just dont know.
4 wheel disc is awsome.
IMO the seats are more comfortable.
tow mirrors are killer
rear seat room is about the same as the obs.

zpd307

Reaction score
once you go to a super duty, you will never go back to an obs again..... they just have everything on them that obs owners put on. intercooler, 4 wheel disc and antilock brakes, hydroboost, better ride- ie: the shackles are all ready reversed for you, more power, you dont have to remove the crushed downpipe, and yes the tow mirrors are so much better. the door hinges dont wear out like the obs, my truck is 12 years old and has 217k on her and the doors close just like they were new... do yourself a favor and get the 6.0 tranny cooler, it drops right in, just have to get some brass adapters to go from the 3/8 to 1/2 inch rubber line. 26 or 31 doesnt matter. mine is a 26 row and my tranny never gets over 125 unloaded and never over 150 pulling a 30 foot tt. the v-10 cooler isnt much better than the stock one, 12 rows vs 9, i had them side by side.... the 4r100 isnt much better than the e4od, so be suspect. as far as the motor goes, im pretty sure you know what to look for, since you all ready own a psd.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Hey man!

I'd be getting a killer deal on it! I was thinking that most everything that is a wear item has already been replaced at least twice already... I will be looking for blow-by, as well as many other things.

I looked at a 2000 F350 today, but it had lots of blow-by, inoperable door lock motor, one bad tie rod end at the pitman arm, broken parking brake cable and needed four new tires. This guy still wanted $11,000 for it...

Just check her out real good, and if you can get a good deal have at it, you cant beat the ride of a SD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online