Should I buy this truck? Blown engine

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
You were saved by a higher power on that deal. I wouldn't dream of making a hauler with a 6.2 or 6.5, I know it can be done but why? There are so many more viable options for a tow/haul setup. I have a Chevy Diesel and it is because I all but stole the truck back, but then I spent what the truck is worth to put it back in service. Now all it will haul is ME and maybe a passenger.

Hell if your truck is the one in the Avatar, you got all you can drive at one time anyway! :) And much better to look at than a Chevy to boot.

Reaction score
I mostly wanted it for my wife to haul her horse trailer. She hates driving my daully because it is so big. I think that Chevy would have been a good fit for her.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't fall too "in love" with any single vehicle: there are lots of really good deals on older diesels right now. Figure out what you really want and then look hard for it. If you really want a Chevy, pick the best year and powertrain and then hold out for a really nice driver as they aren't bringing nearly the money they should.

If I wanted a Chevy, I would want a 6.5, and I'd look for something running and driving so you could see what the truck really needs, something like this maybe:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1445713285.html

Good luck whatever direction you end up in.

Reaction score
Wow, that is a good deal. The only issues is it is not a dually. I want a simple to maintain and easy to drive truck for her. It does not have to put out the Power that my Stroke does. I figured a good running 6.2 equipped truck would be cheap and easy to keep. Not to mention they sip fuel. A 6.5 would be prefferred though.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For as cheap as that truck is, you could consider putting a dually rear end in it.;Sweet

Reaction score
I bet I already have one. But after buying the flares and or bed then going to get the truck or have it shipped, the good deal is gone. I wish they sold that cheap around here.

GWDriver

Reaction score
My '88 Burb has a 5.7L gas mill with a 700R4. With 352,000 on the clock, I'd swap in a 6.2 OR a 6.5 if Momma hadn't bought me the common rail. Still, I really like the 6.2 & the 6.5.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But it's still a valid thread since answers are still being asked.

I say go with the 6.2 since it's an easy as pie swap.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Yea,I wrote up a long post and realized after hitting submit the original post was last year.So I edited everything out.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
well,I was going to offer you my unknown 6.2L to rebuild or chance to put in that truck before I realized it was last year you was looking at the truck.