Should I buy this truck? Blown engine

Reaction score
The truck is a 94 GMC 3500 two wheel drive dually and has a bad 6.2 in it. It is advertised for $800 like it sits. I can get a good engine for around $1200 including the fuel it will take me to go get it. A friend of mine who is a body man owes me some money so he will paint it for me. I think I can get the correct bumper pretty cheap. All in all I think I can make this a nice truck all for under $2000. I have no money to spend right now, but I might be able to trade some stuff off. What would a truck like this with a good running engine and good paint job sell for? I am wondering if it will be a good deal by the time I am done working and spending on it. Oh, and the interior looks good. I could not get better photographs because it was locked. I will be meeting with the owner soon and can provide interior and engine bay pictures then.

Attachments

• DSC02627.JPG
    DSC02627.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC02628.JPG
    DSC02628.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC02629.JPG
    DSC02629.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
So would it be worth around $4000? I plan to keep it when I am done if I can buy it. I just want to make sure it is cheaper to biuld this one than buy one like it.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I would say that could turn out good as long as nothing else is wrong like the tranny or something like that.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
It's really up to whether you want to build or drive immediately. A dually that nice with excellent mechanicals retail for 5000.00 or more up here. To do a truck all in for 2000.00, with fresh cosmetics, you can't turn that down. If you won't do it, somebody definitely will. That thing is a body swap away from being a tow truck, make a nice hotshot rig. It should have a 4L80E transmission in it; I'd get it freshened up just on principle and check the rear diff. That's a money maker right there.

By the way, what's up with the van that's parked next to it? Is it for sale? Is it a diesel?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question, but how many hours are on your Tugger? You could put the tugger motor in and know you have a near new engine. Just a thought.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My vote would be no. here's why.
first. 1994 is the first or second year for the borg DS4 pump. very, very, very pricey if it dies.
second. it's the second year for the 4L80 trans. read fully computerized and can be pricey to rebuild if it hasn't been done already.
third. until the advent of the Duramax, the GM 6.2/6.5 engine family are the unwanted stepchildren of the diesel pickup world. the military loves them because they're cheap.
If your goal is a commuter with very litttle hauling duties, it will do fine. It gets good mileage when it is running.
hope this helps.
one more thing. just looked at the pics. is it a repo?

Reaction score
Why would I pull the engine from my Tugger? Then I have a very heavy peice of yard art that I cannot move.

I see what you are saying. It is a roll of the dice and can go very badly in the other direction. Oh, no it is not a repo, that I know of.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 6.2 may be the redheaded stepchild of the diesel world, especially being related to the 5.7 olds, but it's a good engine and I have two vehicles on the farm that will prove it.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
1994....and no rust? I looked at a 1996 6.5 up here that was rusted alll to hell for $2500 when i bought my Ford......I would be on that in a second! Even if it is a 2wd.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online