Should I buy this sub?

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here it is , 1994 4x4 2500 suburban 220k it drives well, tranny works as it should almost no rust. But it has coolant in the oil with no signs of pressure in the radiator. I might be able to get it for $600. I'm going to assume the block is cracked. Is it worth messing with, rebuilds are over $3000, I suppose I can find another 6.5 truck with a blow tranny and pick it up for under $1000 and scrap the rest. So worth it or not?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
As with any engine, just depends what the root cause is.
These have the oil cooler in the radiator.

IMO, $600 would be a good deal, if the body's nice-ish.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Body and interior are great. can you temporarily disconnect the oil cooler and plug it to see if that is the root cause? I've heard the 94 's are the desirable blocks so hoping it is a simple fix. Otherwise there is a guy within driving mileage who has low milage long block 6.2's off of military trucks for $400. I've hear that I can change the heads and tap the block for an oil hole for the turbo and bolt her together. Hope that is true, might be the way to go since low mileage 6.5 engines and uncracked blocks are hard to find here.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
IMO, all the blocks are about equal. Minus the 2000+ optimizer? Blocks.

Not sure why you'd need to change the heads.
For oil, the port on the back of the block works. Or the port down by the oil filter.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Correct.
IIRC, the early intake manifolds were the same between n/a and turbo. But the newer ones are the 2 piece for turbo.

Do you know what year the 6.2 is?