Should I buy? 1994 F-350 IDI Turbo Reg Cab Manual (Hard Start)

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 93 with low compression had 180,000 miles. Now I found a truck with a good engine to part out. Otherwise I'd of probably gone through my engine. I plow with my 93. It's got a turbo 7.3, 5-speedd, and 3.55 gears. It plows great. Not sure I'd do anything different. If it's a heavy snow I drop to low range. I wouldn't want to use a t-19 because they are a slow shifting transmission. I don't like the overdrive auto's (E40D particularly) in these trucks because they can get expensive when they have issues.

I would not discount the 1st truck but starting hard can be lots of things. Many are fairly simple and are basic maintenance for these trucks. Could always check the blowby when it's running. That gives an indication of engine health. The Dana 60, turbo, and 5-speed are all big bonuses in my book. There is a lot of $$ even in just parts.

Dana 60 axle looks like this.
You must be registered for see images attach

3/4ton dana 50 stuff has pivot points in the center of the truck. the axle tubes are also stampings from plate vs round tubes.

Good luck with the purchase.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question would be; Why is every paint-able surface painted white? What are they covering up? it looks clean...

507Sledz

Reaction score
My 93 with low compression had 180,000 miles. Now I found a truck with a good engine to part out. Otherwise I'd of probably gone through my engine. I plow with my 93. It's got a turbo 7.3, 5-speedd, and 3.55 gears. It plows great. Not sure I'd do anything different. If it's a heavy snow I drop to low range. I wouldn't want to use a t-19 because they are a slow shifting transmission. I don't like the overdrive auto's (E40D particularly) in these trucks because they can get expensive when they have issues.

I would not discount the 1st truck but starting hard can be lots of things. Many are fairly simple and are basic maintenance for these trucks. Could always check the blowby when it's running. That gives an indication of engine health. The Dana 60, turbo, and 5-speed are all big bonuses in my book. There is a lot of $$ even in just parts.

Dana 60 axle looks like this.
You must be registered for see images attach

3/4ton dana 50 stuff has pivot points in the center of the truck. the axle tubes are also stampings from plate vs round tubes.

Good luck with the purchase.

Thanks for the info and pic! So it is possible for a 1994 F-350 to have a Dana 50 axle? or do all F-350's have Dana 60 Axles? I read the Dana 60 Axles are much better then what is on the F-250's which I assume are the Dana 50's

Thanks

507Sledz

Reaction score
My question would be; Why is every paint-able surface painted white? What are they covering up? it looks clean...

Yes you have a point, It seemed a little odd to me as well, if the white truck is a F-250 then it wont be an option anymore. Waiting for my brother to get back to me with the details!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If all you are doing is plowing, I wouldn't let turbo be a deciding factor. Running around in 4wd pushing snow, you shouldn't be trying to win races and if the snow is that deep, traction will be an issue long before power. That said, on the surface, that second truck looks a lot better. You can put a plow on a f250. Mine had one on it. But a solid axle swap is one of the easiest mods to do on these trucks. It just bolts in. Looking at the bed, I'd say that is probably no original to the truck. That looks like the later model graphics on the fender but the other side doesn't have anything so I'd be curious what it looks like underneath. Could just be a craptastic quick paint job. People do strange things to a vehicle to sell them when the don't know any better. You just have to go look at it and then pass judgement. The steel wheels on my truck were painted flat black... warn hubs included... don't need no stinking masking tape.

507Sledz

Reaction score
If all you are doing is plowing, I wouldn't let turbo be a deciding factor. Running around in 4wd pushing snow, you shouldn't be trying to win races and if the snow is that deep, traction will be an issue long before power. That said, on the surface, that second truck looks a lot better. You can put a plow on a f250. Mine had one on it. But a solid axle swap is one of the easiest mods to do on these trucks. It just bolts in. Looking at the bed, I'd say that is probably no original to the truck. That looks like the later model graphics on the fender but the other side doesn't have anything so I'd be curious what it looks like underneath. Could just be a craptastic quick paint job. People do strange things to a vehicle to sell them when the don't know any better. You just have to go look at it and then pass judgement. The steel wheels on my truck were painted flat black... warn hubs included... don't need no stinking masking tape.

Thanks for the info on the solid axle swap, it might come down to doing something like that. Eventually this truck will be pulling around a skid steer and dump trailers, I think the turbo will come in handy during thoughs times, But like you said it is not a must.