Short and long pinion ?'s

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Nope, I tried re-using the short yoke when I converted my 88 to a long pinion, didn't work. It was looking like I'd have to grind washers down to slide on the pinion, the threads were above the deck of the short yoke. Also, the U-joint is different. A U-Joint for a 93+ works, but tell the parts guy it's for a 94-97 because the parts stores show three different joints for 93, and only the one for 94+. That was my experience anyway..

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
What I want to do is swap a 94 rear into my 91. When I did the ZF swap I found that the auto used a smaller u-joint than the stick. I used a u-joint with two sizes to make it work.
Also I had a bunch of leaks and was just using cheap gear oil until I could get them fixed and it messed up the ls not having the friction modifier in it.
The 94 is ls is the reason I want it. I have a yoke for the bigger u-joint but it's for the short pinion. Too bad it won't work. :rolleyes:
The parts truck is an auto so I was assuming that it uses the smaller u-joint as well.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
You can swap the 94 rear in if it's complete, and just use a u-joint for a 94. The end of the driveshafts are the same on both years.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stuck a 10.25 from a 96 f250 into my 89 f250 without swapping universals. Heck, I've never even reason changed a rear universal since I bought the truck 6 years ago.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Well I guess when I get the money to do the seals on the 94 then it will get put in. I want to keep the ls working and since this thing has been sitting I'm not chancing it leaking too.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did the ZF swap I found that the auto used a smaller u-joint than the stick. I used a u-joint with two sizes to make it work.

That's interesting isn't it? I ran into this as well when I swapped to the zf. I had the exact same year donor truck (89) and the u-joints were bigger on the zf, and the driveshaft was almost twice as heavy as the c6 driveshaft(it was also a little bit shorter). I had the donor truck there, so i just swapped the yokes(both short nose rears) and driveshafts, but I have often wondered why the factory would go to the trouble to spec out different parts for a automatic versus the zf.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Yeah I couldn't understand that either. With the bodies being all standardized you think something like this would be too.
I could have done the yoke at the time I did the swap but I was under the impression that you had to replace the crush sleeve to do so. So I just bought the odd ball u-joint.
I now know better, but I want the ls back so I guess I be swapping rears in the future.
Just have to wait for the $$ to do it. New seals for sure, and bearings if it needs them. And new u bolts also.