Shocks...what do you use?

Reaction score
While working on my brakes, I noticed one of my stock's eye end's was completely rusted off and not connected!!

So, I need a new set....what brand do you guys like?

I eventually want to do the sky shackle flip kit on this, so I was debating buying longer shocks for now (+4")...can I run those at my stock height for now?

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought whatever shocks were cheapest on rockauto.com. I think I only paid about $20 a shock for some Monroes on closeout. Much better than the rusty junk ones that were on there.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the Bilstien guys are gonna beat me up, but I've got adjustable Ranchos and like them. Set soft when empty, and stiff when the 5r is hooked up.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have KYB gas-a-just for the rears thanks to a few salvaged trucks.
the fronts are Monroe Gas Magnums. I like the soft ride of my '92 after getting beat to death by my f450's-cuss

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Can't beat Bilsteins. Ride decent empty and still have nice tight control with the 5er hooked up diving through the mountains.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

Will I be OK for a while running +4" shocks untill I lift my truck? Thanks

You will have to take measurements of your truck vs the shocks you want to use. Compare the fully collapsed length of the shocks you want to the length at current ride height to see if there would be any room for travel. I think a shock long enough for a 4" lift might bottom out and get damaged on a stock height truck.
Travis..