Shocking Ideas?

Blk03PSD

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has an opinion...strike that, I know y'all have opinions. I would like to know what the common wisdom here says with regards to shocks. I drag a 30' TT and whenever I hit a little bump here on these velvety North Carolina roads, I get a little more oscillation than I would like. I have a 4X4 but it is not an "Off Road" package so it didn't come with the pretty Rancho shocks. I would like something economical to firm it up without making it ride like a dump truck, it's a daily driver.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO Air bag helpers would do more for you than shocks alone and let you run a little stiffer in the rear when loaded or towing the TT and still let you air down for a good ride when empty. Best of both worlds.

Tires can cause this too, what is the load range on them.

It's one reason I won't have anything but a dually anymore, got tired of the bob and weave of singles and the stares of "this guy must be an idiot" when I do occasionally load heavy which was usually waaaaaaaaay too heavy for what I am driving on:D

My $.01...................Tax man stole the other penny:mad:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is your 03 a 3/4 ton or 1 ton? Are you using a WD hitch and is it set up properly?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
From when I had my 00 sc long bed with the wheel base on it on certian roads I had the same problem.
air bags kinda am,plify the bounce, think of riding on a basket ball.
I am partial to monroe reflex shocks, had them on the 00 also have them on the 96.
and recomend them to my customers that tow/haul.
Nick

Blk03PSD

Reaction score
It is a 3/4 ton (I updated my signature) with BFG All-Terrains. I am not quite sure what a WD hitch is, mine is a receiver hitch with torsion bars and a 1 3/8" (I think) ball using the stock 3" receiver that came on the truck. I do not believe tongue weight to be a problem as the truck sits level with the trailer attached. I just is a little bouncier on the bumps than I think is ideal. It is not a big problem, just an annoyance that I thought I could fix with a little firmer shock package. :dunno I think air bags might be a little overkill for my application, and they sound a little spendy. Remember, the truck is driven back and forth to work empty 95% of the time. :angel:

What does a set of those Monroes run? Is there any such thing as a progressive rate shock?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
the reflexes are a progressive type, the harsher the bump, the firmer the shock,
stock shocks suck, even the pretty rancho lookin ones ford put on the fx4's
WD hitch is what you have.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 4X4 but it is not an "Off Road" package so it didn't come with the pretty Rancho shocks. I would like something economical to firm it up without making it ride like a dump truck, it's a daily driver.

How about some Rancho RS 9000's that are adjustable, you can later on add the remote control adjustment.

Not sure pricing but likely not Economical but definitely would be able to set smooth for roads and firm for tow mode when needed just a few clicks and yer off like a **** of herdles.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
WD is weight distribution hitch, which as said above is what you have.

I just installed my rear air bags this weekend. We just bought a 36ft 5'er that was pushing me down a bit in the back. Install was easy & the bags were about $240.00 from michigan truck spring. I dump them to 5 pounds when empty for a stock ride & pump up till the truck is level again when towing. Plus they look cool;p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online