sent here from powerstroke.org with a question

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I just spent 650 to have 8 PSD injectors rebuilt. So it is not THAT expensive.
it would of only been 500 but with 280k on my injectors, there were some bad plungers and barrels that needed to be replaced

DragRag

Reaction score
I will argue this point. I can buy EVERY part needed to rebuild a powerstroke for under $1000. How much does it cost to rebuild a IDI

I have never had to rebuild one. There are to many good used engines out there to buy on the cheap, to have to rebuild one for now. I just bought a 25k mile 7.3l idi from pick and pull for $254. I know the mileage because my full time mechanic actually put it in the truck we pulled it from. Dumb luck yes, but I have never paid more then $400 for a good used IDI. The power strokes command much more money then that for a good used engine. If you sell a good used powerstroke for less then $700 you are leaving to much on the table.

As you posted in your other post to, injectors are $500 to $1000 rebuilt. I can get a new set of injectors for an idi for $80, I even paid as little as $64 for 8, for 5 sets from uhaul. IDI is WAY cheaper all the way around to replace parts, or replace with a used engine. If you want power and noise on the other hand, the powerstroke IS the way to go. Powerstroke just doesn't fit into my fleet unless I want to spend a lot more money to maintain them with the amount of trucks I have on the road at one time.

Last edited:

musclecarguy91

Reaction score
I have never had to rebuild one. There are to many good used engines out there to buy o9n the cheap to have to rebuild one for now. I just bought a 25k mile 7.3l idi from pick and pull for $254. I know the mileage because my full time mechanic actually put it in the truck we pulled it from. Dumb luck yes, but I have never paid more then $400 for a good used IDI. The power strokes command much more money then that for a good used engine. If you sell a good used powerstroke for less then $700 you are leaving to much on the table.

As you posted in in your other post to, injectors are $500 to $1000 rebuilt. I can get a new set of injectors for an idi for $80, I even paid as little as $64 for 8, for 5 sets from uhaul. IDI is WAY cheaper all the way around to replace parts, or replace with a used engine. If you want power and noise on the other hand, the powerstroke IS the way to go. Just doesn't fit into my fleet though unless I want to spend a lot more money to maintain the amount of trucks I have on the road at one time.

Why is it won't be as loud as a powerstroke? The engines are the came size? I just don't understand what makes the powerstroke that much more different? I understand engines, but I'm a lot more familiar with gas engines. This may sound dumb but is there a way to make a 7.3 idi a powerstroke or like one?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
completely different aminals.only thing they share is bell housing bolt patern.but for 10,000.00 you can get rid of the psds electronics and go mechanical.then the skys the limit as far as power is concerned :sly:sly man i wish i still had the money-cuss

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never had to rebuild one. There are to many good used engines out there to buy o9n the cheap to have to rebuild one for now. I just bought a 25k mile 7.3l idi from pick and pull for $254. I know the mileage because my full time mechanic actually put it in the truck we pulled it from. Dumb luck yes, but I have never paid more then $400 for a good used IDI. The power strokes command much more money then that for a good used engine. If you sell a good used powerstroke for less then $700 you are leaving to much on the table.

As you posted in in your other post to, injectors are $500 to $1000 rebuilt. I can get a new set of injectors for an idi for $80, I even paid as little as $64 for 8, for 5 sets from uhaul. IDI is WAY cheaper all the way around to replace parts, or replace with a used engine. If you want power and noise on the other hand, the powerstroke IS the way to go. Just doesn't fit into my fleet though unless I want to spend a lot more money to maintain the amount of trucks I have on the road at one time.

but all the psd needs is routine maintenance just like an idi and the injectors can go as long as the motor,

DragRag

Reaction score
but all the psd needs is routine maintenance just like an idi and the injectors can go as long as the motor,

I don't agree with that at all. Powerstroke injectors do not generally last 350k miles plus no matter how you maintain the engine. There are no maintenance items to do on injectors is there? When they are bad, rebuild or replace, it's that simple in my book. Then I have to look at what costs more, and powerstroke is always a ton more money without a doubt,

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oil change and fuel filter is maintenance for the injectors.keep the oil and fuel clean and the injectors can last as long as the motor.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Why is it won't be as loud as a powerstroke? The engines are the came size? I just don't understand what makes the powerstroke that much more different? I understand engines, but I'm a lot more familiar with gas engines. This may sound dumb but is there a way to make a 7.3 idi a powerstroke or like one?

no they are fundamentally different in they way they operate inside the cylinder. the powerstroke is DI or direct injected where the fuel injector fires directly in the cylinder. the IDI (indirectly injected) is different where the fuel injector fires the fuel into a pre-combustion chamber. all of the air in the cylinder is also pushed into this little pre-combustion chamber. this is where the mixture ignites off and comes roaring out for massive power:D. this setup also gives the IDI the ability to run off of almost anything but most believe it limits some of the top end power you can get out of these engines.

there is also the IDI has a mechanical injection pump with no computer to run where the powerstroke has a computer and uses a HPOP to fire the injectors.

musclecarguy91

Reaction score
I mean I don't need anything with lots of power. I've heard you can get 300 out of these and that is perfectly fine for me. I just want a diesel truck thats loud and blows some smoke.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I don't agree with that at all. Powerstroke injectors do not generally last 350k miles plus no matter how you maintain the engine. There are no maintenance items to do on injectors is there? When they are bad, rebuild or replace, it's that simple in my book. Then I have to look at what costs more, and powerstroke is always a ton more money without a doubt,

You would be suprised how long they last with good maintenance ie. changing oil oil filter and fuel filter. My buddy has somewhere around 350K or more by now on his psd and still running the stock injectors and it still runs good. We just got done replacing injectors on an international with the 444e that only had 70K miles but it had over 9000hrs on it which is more like 450K miles

People always used the price of injectors as a arguing point between the two but the reality is by the time you buy an IP and INJ its gonna cost the same as all 8 INJ for a psd and not last as long

As for the OP there is nothing wrong with an IDI the one I had ran good and would smoke my 96 psd with a programmer although I did feel I was up against the hp limit with out major $ and work it did get the job done

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I would think that unless you are checking your timing on an idi regularly after 100,000 miles you would be loosing some fuel mpg as as well. Does that happen with the PSD injectors?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey...how bout creating a thread Powerstroke VS IDI instead of hi jacking this one...eh? help the guy out...don't jack his thread