Sat a few days and wouldn't start

soggybottom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck sat for a few days while on vacation. 24 degrees out when I tried to start it. Glow plugs cycled for about 15 seconds and the truck wouldn't start. Tried cranking in 10 second bursts with a break in between, and couldn't get the truck to fire. Tried this probably 4 or 5 times. Finally plugged the truck in for about 30 minutes and it fired right up, ran at full throttle for a split second, then ran normal.

I have been fighting a hard start issue since I bought the truck. It has new glow plugs, new return lines, new fuel filter, new battery cables, old batteries but they passed, new alternator, new starter, new voltage regulator, facet electric fuel pump. After doing all of this the truck starts better, but after sitting a while, or when real cold (30 or under) it is hard to start. This is the first time I haven't been able to get it to start at all.

Seems like a glow plug issue since it starts right up after being plugged in, but the plugs all pass the light test, the controller and relay both passed all the tests, and the harness is good.

I am losing my mind here. Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just cause the GP passes light test does not in anyway mean they are getting warm enough....it just means they are not shot...The better way to test them is with a multi meter and test impedance, what it's supposed to be I don't know but I'm sure someone will chime in with a better answer

What type of GPs are they BTW?

Al

soggybottom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The glow plugs are motorcrafts. I tested them when I put them in and as I recall they were all about .9 ohms. I will try testing them again.

soggybottom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I don't know if this is relevant but there are 2 different age batteries. One says 2011 one says 2007. I had both batteries tested and they passed. I recently noticed the older battery hisses when I turn the truck off.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The glow plugs pull quite a bit of power, so that hissing battery might be part of the cause. I'd have it tested again.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do a compression test....might not ever start when its cool outside. just a thought.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Battery hissing not good.

Check the dual yellow lines going from the glow plug relay to the glow plug solenoid. There is an electrical connector on the passenger side for the wiring harness that goes from the chassis to the engine. This a common problem on these trucks where over time jiggling and corrosion take their toll. Often the connector will be fried where these wires connect. A common mod is to replace these two yellow wires with one of a bigger size. When the connector gets loose and it gets cold, the ends in the connector can contract and result in a poor or no connection! I took the two connections out of the harness and soldered them together. No more cold start problems.

Here's a pic of the soldered wires and you can just see the connector under it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bb,
Is that circuit breaker designed for that environment? Sure looks well made. Just wondering if it is going to give any problems. I couldn't find any information on their website

Back to your regularly scheduled programming

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing since he didn't seem to have a voltage regulator and has a black and orange cable there he has a 3g alternator he is protecting with that breaker. I pulled a power feed yesterday that looks just like that

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably right, I just ask cause thats where my cab feed runs and I want to get rid of the fusible links and do something like that breaker setup.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Yes, that is a 120 Amp circuit breaker that I put in when I did the 3G alt. upgrade. You guys don't miss a thing! :)
You don't want to rely on the factory fusible links when you upgrade.

Better pic of Circuit Breaker:

Shiney 3G Alternator

I am VERY happy with this upgrade. Higher voltage, brighter headlights, starter spins faster.

Sorry, not trying to hijack thread.

Last edited:

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
soggy,
have you pulled the fuel filter after it has sat to see if it is full of fuel? Checked for air intrusion? I would ohm out the glow plugs and also the feed wire to the GP connectors.

bb,
It looks like you got plenty of engagement on your alternator nut. Did you grind the fins or did you put a spacer under the pulley?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
dgr, no grinding needed. I just swapped the pulleys. The pulley on it from the junk yard was for the serpentine set up. I can't recall if I swapped the spacers. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the belts lined up.