Same problem.

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
Been having shifting issues with my 97 auto PSD. Picked up a TC Cus tranny shop dais it was going. Went to change it and found messed up u joint on rear end. Swapped it out and truck shifted great for two to three days. Then started shifting hard again. So I got a lil grumpy and romped on it. Battery light came on and is still on and shifting hard coming out of first and second. Also pulled out 40 ft mixer home about 35 miles yesterday and it kinda shearched for the right gear. It's really ticking me off. Still got TC just got find all time to swap it out. Any ideas???

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
A PSD need lots of electricity. When the volts/amps drop below a certain point the PCM will start going funky. This will affect the tranny with some strange shift behavior.

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
Did a lol messing A round this morning found the pigtail and exciter wire on alt are faulty. Wiggle the exciter wire plug an the batt light goes out. Only seems to shift hard when batt light is on.

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
Replaced alt pig tail and batt light is gone. Shifts a lil harder than I like but it's not banging hard anymore. Also replaced fuel filter vacuum dealeo as it was dripping fuel. $70 bucks at Ford today. It's crazy how the alt pig tail was $13 and the exciter wire plug was $22 just used a female spade connector and saved my self a lil scratch.

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!