rusty cab fixing help

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
it does, and you need to drink milk afterwards so you dont get sick. i would not recommend galvanized metal for this, just some plain metal would work fine, then paint it and undercoat it and the fix is done.

Drink milk BEFORE welding galvanize or just do yourself a big favor and grind it off where you will be welding. It wont kill you but it will give you headaches and stomach pains which all welding can do if you arent in a ventilated area and you breath enough of it. Grinding it off will prevent this and also give you a way better looking bead because you can not get a proper weld without clean metal the trash will pool up inside there and cause pinholes or perositie(sp?). I can also tell you that mig welding WILL NOT work properly with galvonized metal because it is expecially bad about pinholes.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are awesome im feeling much more confident on repairing the cab now haha thank you so very much I just cannot say how much it bothers me every day now ill do something about it

Also I haven't seen the pawnstars rig but would love to go to vegas I've never been on the west coast but im still young and definitely plan on making a trip some day

Also what redneckaggie says in the above is very good info for anyone thinking about welding galvanized metal, I should've mentioned about grinding the metal where your going to make your bead, its really pointless if you don't because it just weakens the weld and with mig welding it turns out terrible, I've never tried the milk I have heard about it before though, also I managed to take a snap of the other rust on the pass. Side of the cab for anyone who wanted to see

Attachments

• 2011-01-26_13-04-33_800.jpg
    2011-01-26_13-04-33_800.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 2011-01-26_13-04-41_879.jpg
    2011-01-26_13-04-41_879.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 1

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya its parked in the lot when they show the cobra couch in one episode almost exact twin
but both sides same idea
i did a quick fix last year on mine with some thick sheetmetal i bent up then rivited it in place working great so far but no ridge to hold up the weather strip so i ritestuffed it in place this summer i have a lot of body work planned so it wasnt worth dealing with at the time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140

Members online