Running waste motor oil?

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
Power steering pump driven by a belt direct off the engine.. or by a 110 volt electric motor ... or by a DC motor rated for continous duty....
The power steering pumps are mostly all vane type pumps and will move oil... cold or not. to lower pressure, use larger hoses for pickup and delivery sides, play with pump speed by the size of the pulleys on motor / pump...;Sweet

In my experience, most folks that have WMO for free want it picked up without fuss or mess and usually have either tanks [some large ones] or 55 gallon barrels. When you pump down their waste oil put a ball valve on the pickup end and the "into your tank end" so when you stop pumping you can close the ends and seal the system... ... if you leave a mess,,, you won't be invited back and you mess it up for the rest of us.-cuss

Gett'r Done. Power steering pump from you local pick and pull yard shouldn't run you more than $20 or so..... 1/3 hp electric motor.. so pullys,, a belt... hose [1 inch white swimming pool pressure hose works... See Home Depot]... ball valves [2]... 1 inch plastic pipe and elbows to make stingers to go into tanks. [cut the tips at an angle so you won't suck the stinger to bottom of tank] Look around, someone has clean 55 gallon barrels for $10 or so. Get some.

If you use an electric motor, use a small 1200 watt generator to run the motor... you can pick them up for less than $150 [try Harbor Freight on sale].

Pump it, filter it.... run it... messing around with truck fuel pumps to transfer oil is a waste of time and money... you want to be in and out in 20 minutes and come back for more later...

I wasn't asking about transfer pumps, and I'm pretty sure the OP wasn't either, but you bring up a good point. I really like the way your setup sounds though ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I get it done with a holley blue, but I have a completely modded fuel system I made when I ran the clear stuff, I got tired of the rough running air leaking factory fuel system.
I gravity fed my pump and used #10 feed lines to the pump and #8 to the engine and back.
Now with WMO it works flawlessly 5/6 psi and never misses a beat.

RLDSL that is one nice pump you mentioned, really nice! It would be an easy replacement for me cause I already have larger ID hoses and a bypass regulator
on my truck.
At 2.6 gallons per min you will never be out of the thick stuff.
The pump manufacture has also many different versions of pumps, that happened to be your favorite style?

Javier

I had contacted the manufacturer about a pump that would be suitable for extended service for WMO/WVO in this particular application under the assumption that it might not be preheated at times so it would be drawing thick and was matched up with a pump suitable for the application by their tech person . They make a number of pumps for heavy fluids and what we would consider heavy is on the lighter end of the scale for what they make pumps for.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
been using a new factory diaphragm pump for about a year with no problems :confused: and at $35.00 a pop, cant really go wrong ;Really

whenry912

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been running 25% WMO/tranny fluid mixed with Diesel in my rear tank for a few months. So far no issues, saves me about 20% in fuel cost (I start and end on front tank straight diesel) I gravity filter using 5 micron bag filters. No excess smoke, can't even tell when I switch tanks.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started at about 25%, couldn't tell any difference. At 50%, a little extra throttle response off of idle, and the exhaust starts to smell like burnt oil.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 100% wmo last summer when temps were above 60* as the low. Little cold start stumble, always smoked, but putting 2400 miles on for the cost of a couple filters was well worth it. BTW, stock mechanical lift pump did fine moving it, n the fuel was never heated either.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
been using a new factory diaphragm pump for about a year with no problems :confused: and at $35.00 a pop, cant really go wrong ;Really

x2

I have 10,000 miles on my factory lift pump running 85% wmo/15% regular gas at temps ranging from 5*F to 95*F.

I run water injection with a Snow Performance 100ml/min injector.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SNO-40100/

I run tap water above freezing and washer fluid below freezing.

The water helps take the carbon out of the prechambers and off the back of the exhaust valves. It also helps keep the rings from gumming up.

I find tap water to be much cheaper than diesel.LOL

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running 5% diesel and 2 1/2 % RUG, the rest is WMO. Runs great and I have run 5 tanks so far with factory pump with out any problem. Rear tank is for WMO and front is diesel.

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a long "bench discussion" with my pump guy and a chemist about the lubricity of diesel fuel. With less and less sulfur in our fuel and lower lubricity numbers, my question was, "was it the sulfur that gave our old fuel its lubricity?" In short, the answer was No! Why, I asked, by taking the sulfur out, do you lose lubricity?

The answer was pretty cool. Lubricity is in the size of the molecule of the carbon chain. The more you refine a fuel, the shorter your carbon chain becomes and the smaller the size of the molecule is in the chain therefore reducing lubricity....Hmmm. Straight gas in a 2-stroke with no oil for lubrication = trot line weight!

After becoming armed with this information, I set out on several experiments... and all with grand success. Right now, I'm running straight crude oil out of one of our wells, and have been for 4 months now. I've already logged about 8k miles and absolutely love it! I've found that the oil from a sandstone formation with an API gravity between 41 & 44 runs best. I've even unhooked my glow plug controller and it starts better than with glowplugs on diesel. Oil from reefing formations are typically of a limestone derivative and will have a dissolved chalk-like substance that likes to stop up filters. I run it right out of a 300 bbl storage tank into my portable fuel trailer. On it, I have my 12v fuel filler pump with a 10 micron primary filter and a 5 micron secondary before going into my tank. On my truck, I run a Baldwin fuel filter, which they have recently upgraded to a 4 micron absolute/2 micron nominal before going into my pump.

It starts wonderfully, it doesn't smoke, and has a nice sweet crude smell and runs superbly! Best of all, I know my pump and injectors will last a really, really long time!!!

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're ever this direction, I'd say 'sure'! I think you're about 4 hours from me (Abilene area)

I've been running crude in everything now! (pumps, backhoe, tractor, vehicles) I haven't run it in a common rail engine yet because they're so 'viscosity dependent'. But I have run enough through the 7.3 PSDs to know it works great also.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, but I was just kidding. Though if I'm ever out that way I might just take you up on a tank full for kicks and grins.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
If you're ever this direction, I'd say 'sure'! I think you're about 4 hours from me (Abilene area)

I've been running crude in everything now! (pumps, backhoe, tractor, vehicles) I haven't run it in a common rail engine yet because they're so 'viscosity dependent'. But I have run enough through the 7.3 PSDs to know it works great also.
So what is the viscosity of the crude?

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, a little more digging had to be done for a comparative fluid analyses ... diesel has a pretty broad range of limits for refining. My crude comes out of the ground more consistent than the refineries around here make diesel!

The range of specific gravity gravity for #2 diesel fuel (these are all at 60deg. F)
is 0.81-0.89 The centipoise viscosity @60deg is 2.6-4.1 The converted API gravity range is from 28 to 44. The viscosity range is a little more broad because it is an unrefined product and falls between 1.8-4.5.

But pretty close for running it through a mechanical pump system. There's a guy here in town who's been running straight filtered WMO through his P-pumped 12 V for over 3 years now with no probs.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
But pretty close for running it through a mechanical pump system. There's a guy here in town who's been running straight filtered WMO through his P-pumped 12 V for over 3 years now with no probs.
Apples to oranges. You are talking about a Bosch fuel pump and comparing it to a POS stanadyne fuel pump . If we had Bosch pumps , we could run WMO for 3 years no problems too, You are comparing a pump that was designed for a 300,000 +mile service life to one with a 100,000 max mile service life

I've run European diesel cars with Bosch pumps on SVO with single tank systems with no problems. The bosch pumps almost seem to like it if you filter it down to 2 micron. The older Bosch pumps get their kick back with a little thicker fuel, especially the VE when the vanes wear down.