Running waste motor oil?

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
ive been thinking of running a blend of used motor oil and diesel in my truck once i get the trans for it! does any body else run a a blend of wmo and diesel if so how do you filter it and how well does it burn in the engine thanks!

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
i did it last summer, about 40% wmo and it ran perfectly. a tiny bit rougher to tart but nothing horrible especially when its warm outside. i mixed a drum of oil and diesel, then pumped it from the bottom of the drum through a 1 micron filter back into the drum. i let it run like this for about an hour. i mix it first so it will run through the filter. as you can imagine motor oil doesnt gravity feed through 1 micron very fast! i absolutely plan on doing it this summer too!

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
I run a blend of 25% wmo, 25% wvo, and 50% diesel just fine. I keep my back tank full of straight diesel for cool down and start up.

I filter the stuff in four stages, a 100 micron sock filter, 50 micron filter, 20, then 5.

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put 10 gallons of deisel fuel with 40 gals of wmo heat to 135 degrees and filter through a centrifuge for a couple hours. the truck runs great on it.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
most trucks will take a 50/50 mix in decent weather without a problem. nice thing is you can work up to it. i have found that it is not the trucks engine that limits the mix (at least after its warmed up) but more the pump and its ability to push the thicker fuel.

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
I know it's been asked, but who's running the carrier pump vs the stock pump for WMO? I'm getting ready to buy my filters, and I'm curious what my mixture can be.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
only name i know of off the top of my head with a carrier pump is Gary, EMD_DRIVER on here. he has some posts up on it and seems to like it.

i am running a carter pump which runs stronger and is much quieter than my holley blue was.

surprisingly the stock pump is pretty impressive moving WMO since it can pull a nice vacume on the lines.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you are going to run thick fuels and want an electric pump, then you need one that is rated tor Bunker C marine fuel. which none of the road pumps are. Only one I've been able to locate so far that has stood up and said their pump will hold up to WVO/WMO is the Reverso 312 with bypass THe thing is far from cheap but how many e pumps do most of you guys end up going through attempting to burn alternative fuels? it has a 1500 hour life expectancy moving heavy fuel which works out to around 50-60k miles which is about average for a normal speed shop e pump on regular fuel ( if they make it that long )
I'm a big fan of carrier pumps, but I wouldn't try to press them into service for what they aren't designed for. If you knew for a fact that you would always have pre heated fuel running to the thing to where you weren't overstraining then you would be fine, but in the real world, that doesn't happen.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power steering pump driven by a belt direct off the engine.. or by a 110 volt electric motor ... or by a DC motor rated for continous duty....
The power steering pumps are mostly all vane type pumps and will move oil... cold or not. to lower pressure, use larger hoses for pickup and delivery sides, play with pump speed by the size of the pulleys on motor / pump...;Sweet

In my experience, most folks that have WMO for free want it picked up without fuss or mess and usually have either tanks [some large ones] or 55 gallon barrels. When you pump down their waste oil put a ball valve on the pickup end and the "into your tank end" so when you stop pumping you can close the ends and seal the system... ... if you leave a mess,,, you won't be invited back and you mess it up for the rest of us.-cuss

Gett'r Done. Power steering pump from you local pick and pull yard shouldn't run you more than $20 or so..... 1/3 hp electric motor.. so pullys,, a belt... hose [1 inch white swimming pool pressure hose works... See Home Depot]... ball valves [2]... 1 inch plastic pipe and elbows to make stingers to go into tanks. [cut the tips at an angle so you won't suck the stinger to bottom of tank] Look around, someone has clean 55 gallon barrels for $10 or so. Get some.

If you use an electric motor, use a small 1200 watt generator to run the motor... you can pick them up for less than $150 [try Harbor Freight on sale].

Pump it, filter it.... run it... messing around with truck fuel pumps to transfer oil is a waste of time and money... you want to be in and out in 20 minutes and come back for more later...

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get it done with a holley blue, but I have a completely modded fuel system I made when I ran the clear stuff, I got tired of the rough running air leaking factory fuel system.
I gravity fed my pump and used #10 feed lines to the pump and #8 to the engine and back.
Now with WMO it works flawlessly 5/6 psi and never misses a beat.

RLDSL that is one nice pump you mentioned, really nice! It would be an easy replacement for me cause I already have larger ID hoses and a bypass regulator
on my truck.
At 2.6 gallons per min you will never be out of the thick stuff.
The pump manufacture has also many different versions of pumps, that happened to be your favorite style?

Javier

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The po of my truck ran straight wmo for a few months and i believe he had the original pump. Or an oem pump. I am going to run a mix once i have enough supply. Just my .02