RUNNING WARM/HOT

swuchase1

Reaction score
HAVING TROUBLE WITH WHAT I THINK IS HOT DASH GAUGE READS M TO L WHEN ABOUT 70 MPH 2500 RPMs PILLER GAUGE READS 240. CHEACKED IT WITH HEAT GUN READS 230. WHAT IS A NORMAL TEMP? WHEN SHOULD I WORRY? AND HOW CAN I MAKE IT RUN COOLER? I HAVE REPLACED RADIATOR THERMOSAT HEATER CORE HAVE AFTERMARKET TRANS COOLER w/FAN (TRANS RUNS 200 AT MOST) AND WHEN I STOP FOR 5 MIN COOLS DOWN TO 190-200 help i mean HELP IS THERE SOMTHING I AM MISSING IN THE COOLING SYSTEM.
THANKS TO ALL YOU ARE ALWAY HELPFUL
:thumbsup:

sootman73

Reaction score
um yea that is def too hot! where did your thermostat come from? and your tranny temps are also too high. since my new cooler my trans has only ever seen 200 one time. normally its at 160. is there enough coolant in the system?

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
230* is about right for running under load. It's the upper limit. I got some cooling system cleaner from the Ford Truck dealer here called RESTORE+ for about $30 and it did a nice job cleaning my system. I was very impressed. I too am looking for ways to reduce my temperature under load. When I pull a load in the hills on a 100* day I have to stop and let it cool down and or wait for the sun to go down. Both my oil and water temps climb to almost 250*, aka the danger zone. I am looking into running Royal Purple Ice synthetic radiator coolant additive but am still in the research mode. It's a surfactant that lowers the surface tension of water but I don't know how it works in conjunction with SCA's.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Cackler... Try running the Evans waterless coolant.... There is no need for sca with that coolant. It will outlast your motor too... Really never need to replace it. Add a coolant filter and the water pump will last probably 3 times as long... This coolant runs at zero pressure too so the hoses wont wear out either... They have a great web site with lots of useful information....

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yep that temp is a little too much on the high side for comfort. Others may run there but I never felt comfortable at those temps.

How many bugs are stuck in the AC condenser? you need to have good air flow through the rad for it to transfer the heat to the air.

The last engine I put in the Enterprise was a monster to keep cool - ended up having to have a Rad built for it that increased the number fins per inch, stayed with the stock 4 rows of cooling so that I would get good air flow through the rad but just increased the surface area contact for the fins to air. I know that Gary (Icanfixit) had a 5 row built that he was happy with... I posted my rad specs on here somewhere if you need it just do a search for "Heatex" as the key word and it should find it.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked with the Royal Purple people and they told me that their product Purple Ice was compatible with both red and green coolant and with SCA's. They also told me that it takes two 16oz. bottles for our 31 qt systems. So that's about the cost of one gallon of Evans.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My custom 5 row is now in typ4 (Russ's rig) and doing well. It was ok for my motor but if pushed hard it would heat up more than I was comfortable with. I think Russ is probably really close to my hp too. The aluminum Rodney Red radiator is working almost too well for me. Most of the time I see 185 on the gauge. Only yesterday did I see a solid 200 degrees from sitting in the In N Out line... Fools don't know how to order a nmber 2 with grilled onions and a large diet coke... Oh yea... I'm eating it in the truck too....:eek::rotflmao:D Never can drive home without "testing" the fries......;Sweet:sly

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the looks of your truck, you are running a little heavier than most of us, so I would expect that you would run a little hotter (both engine and tranny). But you are definately on the hot side. A good running factory system will provide all the cooling you need. You said you replaced the radiator? The factory Ford rad is a 4-core unit, if you bought one from a parts house, it may be a dimpled 3-core. They claim to cool as well, but I had one of those and the factory Ford one cools better. Also, the only thermostat you should put in your truck is either a Ford or International. How old is your coolant, is it the correct water/coolant ratio?

I don't know which tranny you have (C-6 or E4OD), but if E4OD check to make sure your torque convertor is locking up. I noticed that when I run the truck unlocked (you have to mod it to do this) the tranny runs hotter. Sounds like you have plenty of cooling equip on your tranny though. My entire cooling system is factory Ford (with the exception of a tranny cooler) and it does fine pulling 10k up long pulls with the a/c on, so I know the system will handle what you throw at it.

Last edited:

swuchase1

Reaction score
um yea that is def too hot! where did your thermostat come from? and your tranny temps are also too high. since my new cooler my trans has only ever seen 200 one time. normally its at 160. is there enough coolant in the system?

my therostat is from local autoparts i do not know manufacture.
my trans temp only get up there when haulin long grade and when i get out and check with gun pan (where temp pick is reads 170-180) cooler in side reads 120 out side reads 100 coolant is new Dec 2009. i have been told there is a 2nd termostat on these motors but the person that gave me this info could not tell me where it is so i dont know whats the deal with that. my guages are ISSPRO temp trans pyro on the hammer pyro is at 1100 and 3100rpm
and i use differnt temp pick ups stock is at water pump ISSPRO at driverside above header the radiator is new Dec2009
Could my sender be picking up heat from headerit is an electronic sender?

swuchase1

Reaction score
I just checked with the Royal Purple people and they told me that their product Purple Ice was compatible with both red and green coolant and with SCA's. They also told me that it takes two 16oz. bottles for our 31 qt systems. So that's about the cost of one gallon of Evans.

how do i mix it or is it a product i run alone thanks

swuchase1

Reaction score
MY FIRST POST SAYS WHEN I STOP IT COOLS DOWN TO 190-200 I MEAN MOTOR IT JUST LOOKED LIKE I MIGHT BE TALKING ABOUT TRANS JUST CLEARIN THAT THANKS

sootman73

Reaction score
the thermostat might be your problem. you have to use a ford/motorcraft thermostat. the ones from the autoparts stores dont seem to work. replace your thermostat with an OE and see what that does for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle