Running Hot

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
I was heading out to a buddy's last night on the highway doing 65 uphill and the temp gauge went up to the "L" in the word NORMAL. I found this odd because the temps are about the same as when I made the 211 mi treck to the Rally and the gauge never rose above the "N" and some of those grades were steeper and loner than the one I was on yesterday. It only did it on the way out, the ride home it stayed on the "N" like it always did before. :dunno

Is this just the Factory gauges way of telling me to hurry up and finish that pod to install? Or, could there be some other issue at hand, Fan clutch, thermostat, water pump?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the water pump, thermostat, clutch fan, blocked cooling fins in the radiator or nothing wrong at all. The best thing to do it put the real gauges in it.

How is the coolant level?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look closely at both sides of the fan clutch. Any wetness or dirt buildup on the front flat spring or around the rear shaft seal is a failing fan clutch. Buy only the Ford factory products. The after market fan clutches are not a god. The Hayden I'm told is the worst one out there.:sly

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i am still sticking with my idea. it was raining. my gauges always read high when it is wet out.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Ever notice if all your other gauges go nuts at the same time?

Happened to me alot this summer in Florida, especially sitting in traffic, I have a real gauge and in city or steady driving my real gauge sits at 180* (180* Thermostat) but my dash gauge goes all the way to overheat when sitting in really hot weather, or anywhere climbing hills when the engine is working hard for a long time. (not in FL ofcourse LOL).

This thing rarely gets over 200* since I got my new fan clutch on it.

When I get my interesting lil electrical gauge problem heres what it looks like. Fuel no matter the level goes all the way beyond Full, temp* goes Hot, oil pressure goes normal, (usually rides on the N after warmed up) and charging gauge never really moves.

You must be registered for see images attach

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
No, it wasn't raing on this side of the state, we got it at about 7 A.M.

Coolant level is full, just hosed out the rad, didn't look at the fan clutch.

No, none of the other gauges go nuts, just the temp. Dads 00' Windstar does that, whatever the tach, speedo, and everything else stops where it was at. Doing 65, slow down to 35, look at speedo still says 65, give the dash a good ol' ***** slap and it all starts working again :rotflmao

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Jon,

I would think you have the infamous IVR issue with your dash doing that. The 80-86 trucks would do this.... (Ask Mel) there is a small silver box on the back of the cluster, this regulator is basically an on off timer, like a signal flasher. The dash is designed to have a 50% cycle of power applied... and if the IVR sticks, it is on all the time, and the gauges read high.... the fuel gauge being almost not visible behind the dash bezel is a good indication. When this is happening, give a gentle whack on top of the dash, if the gauges settle back to "normal" you have found the issue. I have a post somewhere detailing this more......

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
It only happens sitting in extreme hot weather, or when the engine is working hard for a long time non stop. I have tryed hitting the dash and does nothing.

I doesn't really bother me as those gauges are pretty useless anyways.

Can that thing completely fail though?

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
I've never heard my fan clutch lock in yet since I started driving the truck :eek::dunnocookoo

Although, over the exhaust I can't hear the engine, and over the radio I can't hear the exhaust. Maybe if I roll the windows up and turn down the tunes I might hear it lock in

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would think they can... at that point I don't think any of the gauges would work. I think more what we see is them stick on, rather than off.... like the 6.9 Glow-plug controllers. I know in 87 on the trucks, they did away with the IVR, I don't think they did on the vans until the body change in 92... you know, the vans are Ford's "red-headed stepchild" always behind everything else. Heck, they still use the 8x6.5 lugs pattern instead of the 8x170mm on the trucks.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726