Routing CDR into crankcase?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I was thinking about the CDR again and got to wondering about some things. Is it wise to route the CDR hose back into the crankcase like on some banks systems I've seen? I was contemplating adding an elbow to the plate on my timing gear cover, but it seems kind of redundant. It seems like you may as well just plug the hole in the valve cover. Does the CDR need to vent into atmosphere? I would rather not run an RDT as I am enjoying driving a truck that doesn't smoke from the hood at each stoplight. LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about the CDR again and got to wondering about some things. Is it wise to route the CDR hose back into the crankcase like on some banks systems I've seen? I was contemplating adding an elbow to the plate on my timing gear cover, but it seems kind of redundant. It seems like you may as well just plug the hole in the valve cover. Does the CDR need to vent into atmosphere? I would rather not run an RDT as I am enjoying driving a truck that doesn't smoke from the hood at each stoplight. LOL
the only way a CDR or RDT is if the pressure outside the crankcase is lower than the pressure inside the crankcase. if you are doing a closed loop, you have a zero net gain.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't ever impliment a CDR AND an RDT. You could end up in a situation where you are ingesting unfiltered air in both the crankcase and the intake. Do one, or the other.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I didn't think there was a filter in the CDR? I'm wondering if my memory just fuzzed on me though. The guys that have the banks kit with the hose coming off the front of the IP gear cover, does it go to the intake, or does it come from the CDR?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
The CDR valve itself get placed on the intake venting into it like its setup on the intake manifold. The tube off of the IP gear cover is routed into the CDR valve.

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what mine looks like. My CDR is attached to my Banks intake box.

You must be registered for see images attach

MoMo

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I think I was looking at the other setup wrong. I saw the hose coming from the valve cover area and going to the timing cover. I just assumed it was attached to the valve cover, not the intake.

I'm wondering if the banks setup is less likely to ingest oil since in pulls air from the timing cover instead of the valve cover. I would think that not being directly over the valves with oil squirting around would help

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The Banks Sidewinder II does the same thing. Pulls crankcase vapors from the IP cover to the intake. There's plenty of oil slinging around the gears, also.

The only way to cure the oily vapors from being ingested into the intake, is to run a RDT. Many have tried various filters. None that I've heard of are effective.
I've got a Walker AirSep sitting on the shelf. When I get a chance My engine is coming out for new heads. I'll get a hole punched in the oil pan for the oil drain, and report back.

I've got my RDT routed to the rear of the truck with 1-1/2" conduit. It exits just ahead of, and below, the rear axle.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
So if I route the CDR to the exhaust, I would just have a little extra smoke coming out the stacks. It's the suction of the intake that pulls the oil through right? I'd rather not have oily soot coming out of my pipes.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
So if I route the CDR to the exhaust, I would just have a little extra smoke coming out the stacks. It's the suction of the intake that pulls the oil through right? I'd rather not have oily soot coming out of my pipes.

The function of the CDR system is a tad more complicated than that.. If you are consuming oil, best things to do is first make sure you have a functioning CDR ( if it's original, get a new one, then make sure to remember to clean the thing regularly like has probably never been done ) then address the source of the blowby , most common of which is sticky rings on old diesels. Run a couple of treatments of Auto Rx through the thing to loosen up the rings and see if that helps reduce the oil vapour being thrown around.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I cleaned and checked it a couple months ago. I dont think I have a blowby issue. The trucks runs great, doesn't smoke or anything. I'm just concerned with the oil that gets pulled through the intake. When I was adjusting my wastegate in october, the actuator/diaphragm was full of oil. I probably pumped 3-4 teaspoons of oil out of it.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The function of the CDR system is a tad more complicated than that.. If you are consuming oil, best things to do is first make sure you have a functioning CDR ( if it's original, get a new one, then make sure to remember to clean the thing regularly like has probably never been done ) then address the source of the blowby , most common of which is sticky rings on old diesels. Run a couple of treatments of Auto Rx through the thing to loosen up the rings and see if that helps reduce the oil vapour being thrown around.

The CDR is a VERY simple device. Even if the Diaphragm is damaged, it''ll still work as it's designed to. The ONLY thing the diaphragm is there for is in the REMOTE circumstance that You ever get enough VACUUM to pull the CDR closed.(which Our engines will more than likely NEVER do. Even less likely with a turbo) Then it's supposed to shut, and stop the engine from pulling a vacuum from the crankcase.

The theory is that IF the engine pulls vacuum from the crankcase, it could possibly pull oil out of the engine, and feed it into the combustion chamber. In theory there would be a run away engine, self feeding itself crankcase oil. IF that ever happened, the key would be useless. And the only way to stop the engine would be to stop the oil flow (fuel) or stop the air flow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online