Rotella T

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, nothing you pour in the oil will help compression. I have had good luck with Delo, wally world oil, and mobil, even penz diesel grade didnt burn. SOmething about the NEW rotella isnt kosher.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Only a quart? My truck ate 2 GALLONS in 1000 miles

Here is what I think of Rotella:moon:

I switched to Valvoline had it hasnt used a drop

I got ya beat.....I was using a gallon a week. driving around 20 miles a day for 5 days a week. Yea, I had a leak but not to that extent. You do the math....I'm too poor to keep buying that expensive. I've been running Motorcraft...but with this new engine, I tried out Castrol..(was on sale for 12 bucks a gallon) I have ALWAYS been a Valvoline guy though...ran nothing but in my gassers and I've got the stuff in the shed for this next go around....

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
IMO, nothing you pour in the oil will help compression. I have had good luck with Delo, wally world oil, and mobil, even penz diesel grade didnt burn. SOmething about the NEW rotella isnt kosher.

There is nothing wrong with the Supertech brand 15w40 oil. As much as i hate wally world, its the cheapest place for oil.

My truck likes Delo as far as the lowest oil consumption and best oil pressure.

I'm currently running Lurbomoly 10w40 diesel oil for fuel efficency reasons and i am shocked that my oil consumption is still about 1qt in 1500 miles just like the delo.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't recall the specifics, but some other company purchased the rights to market oil under the Rotella name, even the rights to label it as SHELL OIL.

Rotella has not been made by Shell in a long time.

Rotella is probably the best example of trust in and popularity of a name-brand of almost any product ever marketed.

I know many that still use it religiously and there are still pyramids of it stacked on pallets just inside the fuel-desk doors of most big truck-stops.

I quit using it years ago.

I read a study/report somewhere on several various diesel oils and the Super Tech rated way up there; that was back in the :puke: Pre-CJ4 days though.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
My 7.3 that has 377k miles, uses only about 1 quart per oil change interval, sometimes 2.

In winter, only 1, usually in summer, 2. Leaks oil out of every seal there is, but only in summer, when the oil is thinner I guess. Never had anything else but Valvoline in this engine!

My 6.9 with 151k miles, uses always 2 quarts per oil interval. 0 leaks. I run Rottela T and Valvoline in this one, as it depends witch one I can find when I need some. When i'm traveling I do my own oil changes in parking lots.

My oil change intervals is 3000 miles or less. Never over!

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Who makes the supertech oil? I didn't know any better so i've been using Rotella (it was teh cheapest non-walmart oil). but if the sepertech is really that much better than i'll switch. Got an oil change coming up too...

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who makes the supertech oil? I didn't know any better so i've been using Rotella (it was teh cheapest non-walmart oil). but if the sepertech is really that much better than i'll switch. Got an oil change coming up too...

Warren industries, same company who makes alotta house brands for other retailers. Wal-mart of course goes to the cheapest bidder so that probly has changed and changes quite often, which is why I have a hard time trusting it. It did score well on a VOA over on bitog, but like was said that was years ago now. I did notice that after running it for awhile my cold oil pressure likes to increase which tells me it doesnt like to hold its viscosity range for long, which I DONT LIKE.

I have switched to running mystic JT-8 which is a synthetic blend and is actually a hair cheaper. And with their current rebate offer, Im picking up 2 gallon jugs for 12 bucks. Cant beat that price.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I used it in my 91, I was alway's down a quart within 1000km but that was it, it stayed right there until my 5000km oil change...Just the way it was....Now I'm using the stuff from crappy tire, 20L buckets to give me 2 oil changes just like goofy....Doesn't seem to matter with the engine in the 92, doesn't use much oil at all. Maybe 1/2 a quart at the most in 5000km.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to run it all the time. Never thought twice about running it. Till I swapped to Kendall titanium. Oil usage went down. Then ran a bottle of Lucas in and my oil cooler stoped leaking. Now running RP in my 94 and Kendall in my 86. The 86 doesn't see miles anymore and might get changed once every 6 months unless I get some water into the motor from wheeling. The 94 has 6000 on the oil now and I just changed the filter and added only what the filter needed to fill. Still hasn't used any of the full synthetic.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
We ditched Rotella completely at the yard which is a shame I have used it for better than 20 years now. I'm running Delo 400 in my personal stuff and we run lubriguard in the buses. Shell changed the formula in Rotella about 5 years ago and it hasn't been worth a damn since. I can count 8 engines I know of personally that went out and it was proved it was the oil breaking down prematurely that caused it.

During that formula change, they went through a stage where they rushed the new formula to market before thorough testing had been completed regarding compatibility with other oils, and i ended up loosing an engine on one of my diesel cars because of that crap. You wouldn't catch me putting rotella in anything on a bet. ( they were real nice, they were paying for all the rebuilds for the engines they trashed ... for engines that were still under warranty, in other words, somebody big enough to sue them, but for those with out of warranty engines that got trashed by the stuff, it was tough luck charlie)

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rotella Bad, Delo Good

My relative sells bulk tankered fuel/oil, and Rotella had the kind of long term brand recognition that made people buy it over other brands. The reformulation is definitely noticable as I have had similar problems with my truck drinking Rotella that went away when I switched to Delo.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
rotella has consistantly tested out thinner and burned off faster than other test oils, this isn't just the imagination of IDI owners. It has to do with the makeup of the oil. Rotella has a larger percentage of it's volume being made up of detergents, which means that something has to be left out and that something is oil. Rotella will clean better than other dino oils, but at the expense of lubrication protection. For an engine with any kind of wear or one that has a certain amount of consumption built into the design of the valve system, rotella is a recipe for consumption. Similar to running a light grade synthetic, it's going to find its way through the gaps and get consumed. If you don't want your oil to get consumed, you need something heavier and that means something with less detergent thinning out the mix.
usually the ones that do well on rotella are fleets that run up north and run cummins engines which have a limited service life anyway and run teh stuff since new. Those are teh folks they have doing their boasting for them The things will make it to around 350k to around teardown time with minimal usage ( or these days usually trade in time ).but don't try to put that stuff in an old Cat with a half million miles on it or you can practically watch it blow out the stack :eek:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
rotella has consistantly tested out thinner and burned off faster than other test oils, this isn't just the imagination of IDI owners. It has to do with the makeup of the oil. Rotella has a larger percentage of it's volume being made up of detergents, which means that something has to be left out and that something is oil. Rotella will clean better than other dino oils, but at the expense of lubrication protection. For an engine with any kind of wear or one that has a certain amount of consumption built into the design of the valve system, rotella is a recipe for consumption. Similar to running a light grade synthetic, it's going to find its way through the gaps and get consumed. If you don't want your oil to get consumed, you need something heavier and that means something with less detergent thinning out the mix.
usually the ones that do well on rotella are fleets that run up north and run cummins engines which have a limited service life anyway and run teh stuff since new. Those are teh folks they have doing their boasting for them The things will make it to around 350k to around teardown time with minimal usage ( or these days usually trade in time ).but don't try to put that stuff in an old Cat with a half million miles on it or you can practically watch it blow out the stack :eek:

So before you go to synthetic run some Rotella LOL

I think thats whats in my truck now, heck I forget. Before I moved down here it was always Delo (grandfather has 2 55 gallon drums of the original Delo in his shop, was an owner/operator). Like said...first 1000 miles it seems to eat oil (whatever kind) and then stops for the rest of the life of the oil.

Time for an oil change (Jetta too!)

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I also have 370 miles on my 90, I use Rotella every oil change. I use 1 quart between changes. I actually would like it to use a but more, this is scary for 370k.

I have been using Rotella for years with the same results. And I notice that my hot idle oil psi is rarely below 20psi. It was around 16psi with Supertech.
My Mack E6350 goes back and forth to Rotella and Dello and I notice zero difference in consumption or oil pressure. But it is evident in my idi. I might try Dello again in my idi and pay closer attention to it.

One thing that I do get is GREAT cleaning agents!! When I change my oil at 4000miles or so; the fresh oil stays clean enough that I can see the dipstick under the oil for about 200miles or so before it gets too black....belive it or not. I don't know if its from the Rotella or just regular change intervals but I like to brag about how clean my engine is;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online

No members online now.